Rack & pinion replacement on a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rack & pinion replacement on a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT.

red8590

Reaction score
City, State
Crestview, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT & 2002 XLT
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT, automatic transmission, A/C , V-8, with 2WD that I am trying to replace the rack and pinion steering assembly. I have everything loose, including all the lines both high and low pressure, removed the P.S. fluid cooler, steering knuckle, stabilizer bar with links, and the R&P mounting bolts. I can move it back and forth, but it will not come out. How does this thing come out of the front end assembly? I have tried various ways with no success. I have a new rebuilt unit to go in, but I cannot get the old unit out. There just does not seem to be enough room, even loosening the motor mount bolts and raising the engine as far as it would go. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am new at this and not a computer expert, so if I am doing things wrong please tell me.
Thank you. RED

( P.S. I tried the method of the Will Robinson Auto video on You tube, but it did not work either. The vehicle looked the same, but the front end was different from mine. There seemed to be a lot more room on the Explorer he was working on. It looked like a 4WD or maybe a six cylinder engine. Not sure exactly, but it was a different setup in the front end)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remove the L/H rack end which will allow let it out.

Thanks fex98 for the quick response to my Ford Exp. rack and pinion problem. Just to be sure I understand your message, are you saying to remove the inner tie rod end on the drivers side of the R&P? Also, does the R&P assembly come out the front or behind the front end cross member? To install the new R&P, will it also require removing the left side inner tie rod end and then repacing the boot clamp? Sorry about all the questions, but I am trying to do this by myself. I am almost seventy and only want to do this one time. Again I thank you for all your help. RED

Back