Rad Hoses Collapsed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rad Hoses Collapsed

97explorerltd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
After replaceing the water pump due to a leak the rad let go after the rad was replaced the thermostat housing cracked. All this happened in the span of 3 weeks, now that there are no visible leaks a new problem has popped up and that is the upper & lower rad hoses collapse after the engine cools down. This truck has never been over heated so I don't suspect a block or head crack. Is there something I might be missing?

Replace radiator cap if you didn't and make sure hose to overflow tank is not plugged up. Lower hose should have spring inside of it to prevent collapse. If you changed radiator, new hoses are in order.

Thanks for the reply but after a google search and finding a thread on another forum about the cap & over flow hose I decided to check the hose and sure enough it was plugged solid,cap is fine. The problem was that the hose was trapped under the bottom half of the air box and flattened out over time thus making it easier to get plugged. So if anyone is having a simular problem check that hose.

Back