Radar Detector Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radar Detector Install

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I finally installed the radar detector with hidden power cord. I was unable to fine a switched 12v power source in the overhead console in front of my moon roof. After removing the plastic trim piece over the drivers door ( simply snaps off ), I ran a two conductor wire up the front drivers door pillar and then using an electricians fish tape ( inserted in the area of the overhead console ) ran the wire from the door pillar to the overhead console. Here I spliced the wire into the power lead for the radar detector. The wire comes out the front of the console and goes to the detector. Very neat and not very visible.

The power was connected to a switched connection on rgw duse block and the ground attached with a ring connector to the boday just above the fuse block area,

Works like a champ.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so? where are the pics? NO POSTING W/O PICS!!!!!!
j/k ;)

I'm just now trying to install my radar detector too and I want it snug up agains the ceiling console where I can tap into a switched lead. Trouble is, I can't figure out how to access the ceiling console or see any screws that hold it on.

You said you could find any leads...are you sure? I have a moon roof too, not to mention, compass, lights, etc etc...surely that HAS to be a lead somewhere in there. (and I won't call you shirly).

My questions are: How can I remove the ceiling console so I can look in at the wiring AND is there a lead somewhere in there?

By the way...I see you're in Sarasota...my old stomping grounds. Sure wish I could visit.

Originally posted by ACBlessing

My questions are: How can I remove the ceiling console so I can look in at the wiring AND is there a lead somewhere in there?

To remove the console ( at least on my 99 ) simply grab it from the front and give it a forceful tug.

I was unable to find an appropriate power sourcem, therefore, I ran my own.

Goos luck...

If you find suitable power, please post its location.

ACBlessing,
Just so you know, snugging the radar detector up close to the ceiling will limit its effectiveness. The tinting in the top portion of the windshield can interfere with radar and laser detection.

Originally posted by Alec
ACBlessing,
Just so you know, snugging the radar detector up close to the ceiling will limit its effectiveness. The tinting in the top portion of the windshield can interfere with radar and laser detection.

The bottom of the overhead console ( at least on my 99 ) cleears the tint strip. Mounting a detector there would pose no problems for you.

Further, I did a test with two Passport 7500 detectors; one mounted high ( in the tint strip ) and the other on other side of windshield in the clear glass area. I realize that this was not a stastically valid analysis, however, there was no detectable difference in signal acquisition.

Before you yank down on the console there are two screws in the garage door opener area that come out. I couldnt find a switched power wire there either and as easy as it is to get a hot wire up there from the fuse box why bother.
Gotta agree that the placement is best for the radar, since the tinting doesnt effect radar and the hieght increases the ability to detect radar. The tint may reduce the lasar but if you get hit w/lasar you dont have enough time to alter your speed anyway.
My Bel is mounted to the console and is always on and out of sight and out of he way.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
Before you yank down on the console there are two screws in the garage door opener area that come out. I couldnt find a switched power wire there either and as easy as it is to get a hot wire up there from the fuse box why bother.
Gotta agree that the placement is best for the radar, since the tinting doesnt effect radar and the hieght increases the ability to detect radar. The tint may reduce the lasar but if you get hit w/lasar you dont have enough time to alter your speed anyway.
My Bel is mounted to the console and is always on and out of sight and out of he way.

Bill, mine has NO screws holding it in place. Further, I have no place for door opener. I have a moon roof and I think it has a different overhead console.

I have been doing this with my radar detectors for about 2 years now. My Bel Vector LR fits perfectly between the bottom of the overhead console and the top of the mirror. It cannot be seen from the outside. I don't see the point of looking for a hot wire in the overhead console when it is quicker just to run wire down the drivers A pillar to the fuse box. I have had three or four friends do this to their radar detectors. It is great.

Aldive, if you need a radar detector this is probably one of your number 1 reasons why you have bad gas millage. Try going the speed limit and that should improve it. The only reason for these is so you can try and speed without getting caught. Speeding makes your rpms higher therefore wasting gas.

Originally posted by rpenner54
Aldive, if you need a radar detector this is probably one of your number 1 reasons why you have bad gas millage. Try going the speed limit and that should improve it. The only reason for these is so you can try and speed without getting caught. Speeding makes your rpms higher therefore wasting gas.

I never said I NEED a radar detector. I have one, actually several.

Further, I do not get bad gas mileage; I just want more....

Whew! Thanks for all the posts....

1. I have no garage door opener in the console, but on the Home Link visor...hence a little worried about grabbing the front of the console and tugging it hard. (Can't find a Hayne's repair manual that covers 2000s yet).

2. I appreciate the tip about window tint and effectiveness but it has also been my experience that window tint has no effect on radar but it does on laser, which they don't use here anyway. Even if they did, the whole right side of my detector is obscured by the console anyway and to be truly effective, you'd need an AWACS type dome on the roof. Height does have its advantages though for conventional radar.

3. If this ceiling console turns out to be that much of a problem, I just might run it down the A pillar but I was just concerned about having to remove more panels than necessary.

Thank you all for your response and I am breaking out the digital camera this weekend for some photos to post on here. I like this community.

Back