• Register Today It's free!

RADIATOR BOIL OVER?

KEN TATARKA

Reaction score
City, State
SACRAMENTO, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Exp. Sport & '02 FX4
I HAVE A '91 EXPLORER SPORT WITH A 4.0L ENGINE. IT HAS 165,000 MILES AND HAVE REPLACED THE TOP END OF THE ENGINE. NOW FOR SOME REASON, MY RADIATOR BOILS OVER INTO THE RESERVOIR SOMETIME BUT NOT ALL THE TIME. COULD IT BE THE RADIATOR OR SOMETHING ELSE? WHAT MIGHT BE THE CAUSE OF THIS? ANY RESPONSES WOULD BR GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ken,

First thing: Caps Lock!

Second thing: Have you ever replaced your thermostat or even the radiator hoses. The thermostat could be stuck or the hoses can be clogged. Also check the fins of the radiator, make sure they are free from debris. That can cause some unwanted heat.

Your coolant probably needs changing in addition to the other suggestions.

Good luck.....

I replaced the radiator and the hoses about 30,000 miles ago. Also, i just replaced the thermostat recently. Thanks for input any other suggestions.

Only one thing....Don't let it get to hot or you'll end up replacing both heads like I am having to do right now, and it was only hot for about 30 secs.

Try replacing your fan clutch. Mine was doing the same thing, and the fan clutch seemed fine...it was behaving and engaging normally. I changed the fan clutch and it quit boiling the fluid.

Back