Radiator Cooling Fan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Cooling Fan

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport 90k, 94 Xlt 157k
I had recently just pulled out my radiator and ive felt alittle play in the cooling fan, knowing it might be the water pump going bad, I decided to maybe tighten it up alittle AND HERES MY QUESTION, as i was tightening the bolt on the fan cluth , the fan bolt tightened alittle but it turned the whole serpentine belt system, since it turned everything including the crankshaft , is it possible that it would cause the timing to be messed up? as always any information would be very appreciated :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be fine, there's a little wiggle room in the belt system if I recall correctly. Hell, I ran my Explorer for 5 miles with NO belt and it was perfectly a okay. Probably just some wiggle room or you have a crank bolt that's not torque right, but there's a chain around the crankshaft that goes up to the camshaft in the center of the engine, you could remove the crank pulley, turn it 180 degrees, reinstall and it'd be fine. As long as that chain didnt' jump any teeth.

Short version: It's fine.

Should be fine, there's a little wiggle room in the belt system if I recall correctly. Hell, I ran my Explorer for 5 miles with NO belt and it was perfectly a okay. Probably just some wiggle room or you have a crank bolt that's not torque right, but there's a chain around the crankshaft that goes up to the camshaft in the center of the engine, you could remove the crank pulley, turn it 180 degrees, reinstall and it'd be fine. As long as that chain didnt' jump any teeth.

Short version: It's fine.

Yup, You're fine. Serpentine belt has nothing to do with the timing chain.

Back