• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Fan Blade Compatibility?

3Huntsmen

Reaction score
City, State
North Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4WD Eddie
Looking to replace the plastic radiator fan on my '91 Eddie. I see that most of the other plastic options don't last long. Will the metal blade from the gen 2 v8's fit on this clutch, or will the newer style clutch fit on the old OHV v6? Has anybody tried drilling the metal fan to fit the old style clutch? In searching I haven't found much regarding metal fans for the gen 1's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do it but the clearance is very tight. I used a 2nd gen clutch and fan on our 93. Beware though, getting to the fan clutch nut with this setup is very tricky, but doable. The fan blade to accessory ( and accessory fasteners) clearance will be bout 1/8"

Alright, good deal. Was the use of the 2nd gen clutch necessary, or just convenient?

Alright, good deal. Was the use of the 2nd gen clutch necessary, or just convenient?

I looked for photo evidence but am now going from memory. So let me say getting old sucks.

The more I think of it I just might have used the 1st gen clutch on the 2nd gen metal fan, and had "intended" on trying the 2nd gen clutch for more clearance.

If you have access to a 2nd gen metal fan and want to try it I don't think it is a bad idea, just beware to not tighten the fan nut onto the water pump until you are sure it will work, as the fan blade clearance now will require a whack to it with a chisel to get it loose. You'll see what I mean when you get it mocked in there. Also pay attention to the fan blade path on the engine side, as I said earlier it is pretty close. You may have to move hoses or wires-

Awesome. I have several local yards with a plethora of gen 2s. I might pick up the fan and clutch together and see if it makes a difference. I'll report back when I finally get this done. Since it's a shared truck in my family (bought to drive outside the city and into the dove lease) it might take a little while.

Back