Radiator fan squealing/screeching at shutdown= inevitable dual fan assembly failure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan squealing/screeching at shutdown= inevitable dual fan assembly failure?

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
This afternoon our EX developed the well known fan squealing/screech right after engine shutdown when the AC is ON. The coolant temperature is normal, but I am highly concerned that this squealing is the beginning of the end of the dual fan assembly...
My question is, do the fan squealing issues always develop into fan failure with subsequent overheating issues?
In any case I will request the dealer to replace the fan assembly solely on the squealing issue... why wait for the fan assembly to ultimately fail and cause the engine to overheat?
To me this is the logical approach.
Additionally I have a 02/21 build, so I am right within the timeframe of the radiator fan TSB
Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked out the TSB, it calls for fan replacement if the fan squeals.
I will have the dealership replace the fan assy before the fan fails for good, causing subsequent engine overheating.
I have about 4,300 miles

Had mine replaced by the dealer this week.

This afternoon our EX developed the well known fan squealing/screech right after engine shutdown when the AC is ON. The coolant temperature is normal, but I am highly concerned that this squealing is the beginning of the end of the dual fan assembly...
My question is, do the fan squealing issues always develop into fan failure with subsequent overheating issues?
In any case I will request the dealer to replace the fan assembly solely on the squealing issue... why wait for the fan assembly to ultimately fail and cause the engine to overheat?
To me this is the logical approach.
Additionally I have a 02/21 build, so I am right within the timeframe of the radiator fan TSB
Thoughts?
I can see why you would be concerned with an issue like this on your new Explorer; have you already set up an appointment at the dealer yet? I would like to offer my assistance with getting this resolved. If you don’t mind sending me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name, I’ll do everything I can to help.

Cory

Dealer just called us we waited over a month for this part as it was national backorder good luck........took the tech 2 hours to find the problem after my wife told him it was the fan that was bad, he will not be installing it!.....

I can see why you would be concerned with an issue like this on your new Explorer; have you already set up an appointment at the dealer yet? I would like to offer my assistance with getting this resolved. If you don’t mind sending me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name, I’ll do everything I can to help.

Cory

Hi Cory, Thanks for offering your assistance. I called the dealership today and I have an appointment with them for Tuesday morning. I told them that the fans are squealing at shutdown and asked them if they could go ahead and order the part to at least start that process, but apparently their process requires that they first indeed verify that the fan is faulty (even though I told them that the fans are squealing) prior to ordering the replacement part. I'll PM you my information. IS it possible that you help them order/locate a replacement part in advance? It seems this replacement part is on backorder, based on other peoples feedback. Thanks.

Hi Cory, Thanks for offering your assistance. I called the dealership today and I have an appointment with them for Tuesday morning. I told them that the fans are squealing at shutdown and asked them if they could go ahead and order the part to at least start that process, but apparently their process requires that they first indeed verify that the fan is faulty (even though I told them that the fans are squealing) prior to ordering the replacement part. I'll PM you my information. IS it possible that you help them order/locate a replacement part in advance? It seems this replacement part is on backorder, based on other peoples feedback. Thanks.
\

Hi Cory, just an FYI, I canceled my dealership appointment for today. The fan shutdown squealing mysteriously went away over the weekend, and according to the dealer, if they can't reproduce the issue, then there is nothing to do. I will reschedule once/if the squealing comes back. Thanks.

jeff59rt1, I can see why this would be frustrating, so please don’t hesitate to send me the information I mentioned above if you would like me to assist with this.

\

Hi Cory, just an FYI, I canceled my dealership appointment for today. The fan shutdown squealing mysteriously went away over the weekend, and according to the dealer, if they can't reproduce the issue, then there is nothing to do. I will reschedule once/if the squealing comes back. Thanks.
Thank you for letting me know. Please keep me in the loop and drop me a line if the issue returns.

Cory

Overheating with AC Failure 2011 Ford Explorer LTD Ed

Last evening, my 2011 LTD Edition (with towing package), FWD, (1492 miles) overheated (notification) while we were in idle (had been idled for about 30 minutes). I immediately turned the car off and attempted to open the hood to allow it to cool once I identified no steam, smoke, or fluids. The hood was too hot to touch and the temperature must have well exceeded the limits for the vehicle. 30 minutes later, after it had cooled a bit, while waiting on the tow truck, I restarted the vehicle and noted the air blowing hot with the AC on. I immediately turned the car off and waited for the tow. This morning the dealership notifed me that this was a fan failure. I've seen multiple of these same failures listed on different forums for the 2011 Explorers; mostly with the towing package. Also of note, the Sync system is very buggy and needs some work too...downsides to being an early adapter...if anyone knows why the fans are failing or of any additional info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The fans are not failing, it is the relay module that is part of the fan shroud that fails. Ford only services as whole fan assembly right now.

Hi,
I had the AC cut out on me on a hot day at the end of long drive? Is that a symptom? Does anyone have access to the TSB? My build date is 3/16
Thanks,

Hi,
I had the AC cut out on me on a hot day at the end of long drive? Is that a symptom? Does anyone have access to the TSB? My build date is 3/16
Thanks,

should be under the sticky
Sticky Thread Sticky: Known Issues/Special Service Messages for 11 Ex (Multi-page thread 1 2)
usranger80

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305964

I escalated this with Cory but have yet to hear from any other higher Ford reps. I don't believe just replacing the fan assembly justify the magnitude of this problem. Over heating cause other engine components to be weaken, and a car this new should not ever have overheating issues.

Last evening, my 2011 LTD Edition (with towing package), FWD, (1492 miles) overheated (notification) while we were in idle (had been idled for about 30 minutes). I immediately turned the car off and attempted to open the hood to allow it to cool once I identified no steam, smoke, or fluids. The hood was too hot to touch and the temperature must have well exceeded the limits for the vehicle. 30 minutes later, after it had cooled a bit, while waiting on the tow truck, I restarted the vehicle and noted the air blowing hot with the AC on. I immediately turned the car off and waited for the tow. This morning the dealership notifed me that this was a fan failure. I've seen multiple of these same failures listed on different forums for the 2011 Explorers; mostly with the towing package. Also of note, the Sync system is very buggy and needs some work too...downsides to being an early adapter...if anyone knows why the fans are failing or of any additional info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I’m sorry to hear you had this awful experience. Like G37RRaiders mentioned, I can assist by escalating your concern. So I can help, please send a private message with the details I mentioned previously in the thread. Please let me know if you would be interested in that.

gregross, has your AC cut out again since the last time? Please let me know via PM if you would like me to re-escalate your case.

Cory

Over heating cause other engine components to be weaken, and a car this new should not ever have overheating issues.

I agree 100%, I would be extremely dissapointed if/when my new ex overheats!

The fans are not failing, it is the relay module that is part of the fan shroud that fails. Ford only services as whole fan assembly right now.

Seriously!!???

They pinch pennies for so many things and then get "pound foolish" on the repairs? Though I suppose the service labor may be more costly to replace a module than to pull the entire assembly. Still...

new to ford, I’m sorry I missed your last post. I wanted to check in with you on this issue. Did the squealing ever return since the last time you posted?

Cory

Hi Cory, thanks for the follow-up, the squealing has NOT returned (yet). We are keeping an eye on the AC air temp and coolant gauge like a hawk, so far so good, but I feel it may breakdown in the worst possible moment (wife alone with the kids in the vehicle, since it's her daily driver).
Can you give us any idea on what is the fan failure rate on the ex's built within the TSB noted timeframe? 1%? 3%? 10%?, higher? I am sure other owners would like to know, so at least we know what are our chances on this dice roll:D

A/C Fan Issue

Just figured I would chime in as I too have now also experienced a fan issue. I have had my explorer approx 6 weeks & 4800 miles and all was well until yesterday. I had the air condition running w/my 15 yr old son waiting in the car as I ran in to the store. I came back 10 mins later and hot air blasting from the A/C. After turning the A/C off and on again it started blowing cold air as I drove and hot air as I sat idle at lights etc. I drove straight to the dealer and after an hr assessing the situation they told there was an issue w/the fan and they had to order. I was told it should be in tomorrow to have it fixed. What are the chances it will actually be in and back in order? I have a trip to South Carolina scheduled in a week.....I need the A/C!!! I can't believe i have this thing in the shop after only 6 weeks!!

new to ford, I’m glad to hear that you’re not having the issue anymore. That isn’t information that is published and I don’t have access to it. I can assist you if you would like me to escalate the concern for you. Please remember to send a PM including your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name.

jnimon, I would hate to come back to my car to find hot air blowing instead of cold and I would like to escalate your concern as well. So I can do this, please message me with the details I mentioned above.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new to ford, I’m glad to hear that you’re not having the issue anymore. That isn’t information that is published and I don’t have access to it. I can assist you if you would like me to escalate the concern for you. Please remember to send a PM including your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name.

jnimon, I would hate to come back to my car to find hot air blowing instead of cold and I would like to escalate your concern as well. So I can do this, please message me with the details I mentioned above.

Cory
Cory - I just sent you a PM

Jeff

Back