• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Leak/Pulley Repair

cornbread504

Reaction score
City, State
new orleans, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
Sooo... Yesterday I lost my Idler Pulley... Once it blew, something happenned with my radiator. I replaced the pulley today, but it was a huge chore. The pulley was easy enough.... its my radiator now. It's leaking from the top/front/passanger corner.

Whatever happenned, it happenned at the same time as the pulley blowing. It runs hot.... and it gets hot fast. And steam/smoke... lots of it. No matter how I drive or how much water i put in it. Everyone tells me to turn the heater on but that has no effect at all.

What say you?... Do I need a new radiator?... I hope not, I'm having cash-flow issues right now (who isn't)

more details....

i can't see the leak... i can just see the stream going down the side of the radiator

4.0L

136k miles

i found a small crack in the radiator....

for now, i drained it and am letting it dry so i can use some JB Weld tonight and let it sit overnight. this should last until i can afford to replace the radiator. i hope my water pump is still working.

any input?

IF the Idler fell apart maybe the side tank was hit. I bet JB WELD wont hold it for long. The plastic tanks suck for this.
You could loosen the Radiator cap or buy a lower pressue cap to reduce the Pressure in the radiator, that will help.

Back