• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Question

iowa_hick

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB
I need to change the radiator on my 2003 with the 4.0l and an automatic. I haven't had a chance to pull the old one off yet, but I want to get the new one ordered.

All of the radiators I'm finding online don't have a transmission cooler built in. Am I just finding radiators for manual transmission Explorers or is the transmission cooler a separate unit on these Explorers?

Thank you!
Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you need to replace the radiator? Does it leak from a plastic part or from the aluminum "grill"?

Trans Oil cooler is separate.

FYI, rockauto.com has the best online catalog for finding part numbers and pictures. Super easy to use.

It's not leaking, but I think it's partially plugged up. It will overheat at an idle, but cools off if I hold it around 2000 rpm.

It's not leaking, but I think it's partially plugged up. It will overheat at an idle, but cools off if I hold it around 2000 rpm.
Typically, if a vehicle overheats in stop and go traffic or while idling, but not at highway speeds, the fan clutch is likely the issue. If it does the opposite then is it likely the radiator. The engine needs less coolant flow to keep the engine cool at idle but needs more flow at highway speeds where it is generating more heat. A clogged radiator restricts flow hence the overheating at highway speeds. The fan draws air at idle or low speeds to simulate the higher air flow you get at greater speeds. Overheating only at low speeds indicates the fan isn't drawing enough air.

Thanks, I'll start with the fan clutch and go from there!

@iowa_hick
Make sure you don't have debris (bugs, leaves, dirt, birds, sasquatch hair, body parts...) clogging the front side of your radiator; need to loosen the 2 top frame bolts to peek in between the radiator & ac coil. Wash forward thru the shroud with a water hose. Then install a new thermostat & do a system flush+fill+purge.
Your fan clutch could also be bad.
D

PS: If the front side of your radiator looks like this, it needs a good cleaning:
View attachment 319406
Reminds me to work next on aunt's Explorer next right after we finished installing the brake kit, plus headache rack on the current Ram project. It intermittent overheat at idle so the fan clutch needs to be checked as well.

Back