Radiator replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator replacement.

my ford

Reaction score
City, State
Hernando,ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0v6 -- the radiator is leaking and I am going to replace it myself -- does any one know how to refill the transmission fluid that is lost when lines are disconnected from the radiator? Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HI, once you have everything hooked up. Start the truck and refill the tranny through the dipstick tube.

Once it's warm shift through all the gears a few times and then recheck the fluid level.

HI, once you have everything hooked up. Start the truck and refill the tranny through the dipstick tube.

Once it's warm shift through all the gears a few times and then recheck the fluid level.

There is no dipstick tube. Ford has a special tool to fill but you can rig a vacuum hose on top of a bottle of trans fluid and squeeze it in there until you get proper level.

There is no dipstick tube. Ford has a special tool to fill but you can rig a vacuum hose on top of a bottle of trans fluid and squeeze it in there until you get proper level.

scratching head...lol, is it a V6 or V8, this is a new one for me. I thought pretty much all vehicles with an automatic tranny had a dipstick tube to check the fluid level.

Alot of cars these days don't have dipsticks. The theory behind that is to keep people from adding incorrect fluid and ruining the trans.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2006-2010 section. Check the sticky thread on the top of the transmission section called the 5R55W fluid fill for more information. There are aftermarket dipstick kits available.

scratching head...lol, is it a V6 or V8, this is a new one for me. I thought pretty much all vehicles with an automatic tranny had a dipstick tube to check the fluid level.

since 02 no explorer has a dipstick tube.

Alot of cars these days don't have dipsticks. The theory behind that is to keep people from adding incorrect fluid and ruining the trans.

also keeps dirt out of the trans :)

no way for it to get in.

What did you guys use to disconnect the trans lines on the radiator? I know ford lists a specific tool but doubt everyone has it. Also is there multiple different types on connectors that are shipping on the replacement radiators? I hope not.

Back