• Register Today It's free!

Radiator replacement

New2fixing

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey everyone! Quick question. I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4X4. So I just replaced my old radiator with a crack with a new Duralast single row one. My question is should there be a gap (around 1 1/4") between the fan shroud and radiator? Everything seems to be in place properly. Trans lines are in snug shroud screwed in easy enough.

I'll post pics

Another thing is the left bolt opening is set too low for me to get the bolt back in. But the radiator fins are sitting flush so it won't go any lower. And the right bolt went right in so the radiator is in there pretty snug

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also any special steps that I need to do before refilling the radiator with antifreeze? Or just fill it and top it off? Sorry it's my first time doing this

20191105_131034.jpg

20191105_130709.jpg

20191105_131026.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That gap is no correct. It appears that the fan shroud you have is made for a wider radiator, perhaps a two row.

That gap is no correct. It appears that the fan shroud you have is made for a wider radiator, perhaps a two row.

I think the old radiator is a one row too (I'm not really sure) but the only difference is the metal plate at the top is wider. I don't get it.

20191105_150603.jpg

20191105_150611.jpg

Your right, the metal plate take up the gap. You need to fill that gap with something, so as to stop air from entering thought the gap.

Back