Radiator tansmission lines | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Radiator tansmission lines

Reaction score
City, State
NorCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 5.0
'08 Sport Trac 4.6 V8 Limited

Had it for almost 6 months.

Top of radiator is cracked in plastic and leaking.

Having difficulty removing transmission lines from bottom of radiator.

I have this style fittings.
http://up.picr.de/12612012mk.jpg
http://up.picr.de/7431499lwm.jpg

Of course the tool from O Reilly doesn't work. PN 39960 plastic one.
I've tried a few different types of plastic, cut from a milk jug, and from a Solo cup, and that doesn't release it.

Ordered a few more tools for delivery this week. OTC 6593 & OTC 307-569, so hopefully one of those works.

Reaction score
City, State
NorCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 5.0
Got the PN 39960 tool to work on one of the fittings. Used a torch on the other to melt out the Teflon seal, and just pull it apart.
New stock radiator installed. I sort of expect this one to fail in under 100k miles. If anyone knows if you can run a lower pressure cap >20lbs, or an all aluminum that will fit without modification, then let me know.

Thanks

Floordford

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sport Trac 4.6 4x4
I have that style too. A tool didn't work for me. I used a thin piece of aluminum about 3/8" wide. I curved it and made 2 of them and slid them in on opposite sides. Then just wiggled and worked it till it came out. It really was a pain in the rear and one of the hardest parts of the project. Getting the radiator in and out and around those A/C lines was a whole 'nother headache.

Reaction score
City, State
NorCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 5.0
Yeah, getting the radiator in and out was a pain as well. Certainly helps to have another person around. A buddy of mine from work helped me. I'm a Machinist and he is Maintenance tech, so we're both very mechanical.
For removal, we unbolted the side brackets, removed the fan shroud, moved the assembly forward, popped out the plastic holders for the AC lines, unbolted the condenser, and had to rotate the driver side bracket to remove it before the radiator would come out.