Radiator Transmission fitting leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Transmission fitting leaking

farkmischer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
I replaced my radiator and on the box it has lots of warnings about overtightning the fitting so I have slowly been tightning the transmission fitting little by little until the don't drip anymore. The top one is just fine but the bottom one is not cooperating. I have it to the point where I feel that it is pretty tight but it is still dripping a little. I don't want to over tighten it and mess up the radiator I just bought. Is there any kind of teflon tape for radiator lines that I can use. I can't seem to be able to tell if the dripping is coming from the fitting that goes into the radiator or from the fitting that attaches to the transmission line.

I guess I need some reasurrance on how tight these fittings are supposed to be.

you should use teflon tape on the treads.....

Teflon worked like a charm. Wish I had known about that a year ago. Oh well glad that it is resolved.

Thanks again,
Mark

then you tighten, hold the metal fitting on the radiator with a wrench while tightening the fitting on the oil cooler line. Teflon wont help atall, infact i would say it is counterproductive because the threads are not the sealing surface. The sealing surface is the mushroomed out end of the cooler line. Tighten it down well, but be sure not to twist the fitting on the rad. If it still leaks take it back off and take a look at the sealing surfaces for dirt or debris.

Back