Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades ) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades )

thanks it worked when i hit rumble strips for about 2 minutes what is the rds in these radios

Push the button and hold it down to activate it. That provides display of alerts for traffic or weather, plus station and/or song information if available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't know what the letters (rds) stand for (radio display ???), but when pushed the radio will display information about the station you're listening to, like ROCK, NEWS, JAZZ. I think you also need to press the "rds" button to set the clock. it displays HOURS then MINUTES and you hit the "select" button to change the time. your owner's manual should have all the info on it. I have one vehicle that the display works intermittently on, and one that's been repaired. the problem has to do with excess heat, cracked solder joints and capacitors inside the radio. super common problem. I have the "audiophile" systems in my trucks (with the steering wheel mounted controls, 6-disc CD changer, amp and subwoofer). I think they sound great, but i'm not a audiophile so...

I have mine modified with RCA cable outputs, but don't use those yet. I'd like to get another spare unit fixed the same way for the future. I will install RCA cables with new amps/speakers.

i don't know what the letters (rds) stand for (radio display ???), but when pushed the radio will display information about the station you're listening to, like ROCK, NEWS, JAZZ. I think you also need to press the "rds" button to set the clock. it displays HOURS then MINUTES and you hit the "select" button to change the time. your owner's manual should have all the info on it. I have one vehicle that the display works intermittently on, and one that's been repaired. the problem has to do with excess heat, cracked solder joints and capacitors inside the radio. super common problem. I have the "audiophile" systems in my trucks (with the steering wheel mounted controls, 6-disc CD changer, amp and subwoofer). I think they sound great, but i'm not a audiophile so...

i just bought this last wednesday no owners manual if i could find the power supply board i buy and put it in my self.This has the mach system thats what the speaker cover in the back says and the 6 disk in the center and one in radio

I think "RDS" stands for "Radio Data System."

ok thanks still didn't hear back about getting it fixed but i did find a guy that sells the boards but he is out he said he could fix mine for 85.00 if i send the board place called spl electronics

Just an update on my previous post about the availability of replacement boards, (#91). Since that link no longer works use this one to get on the Encompass website then search for part number HWM0043 or their suggested replacement number HWM5467. Right now it's $181.25 (ouch!).
http://www.encompassparts.com/

Just an update on my previous post about the availability of replacement boards, (#91). Since that link no longer works use this one to get on the Encompass website then search for part number HWM0043 or their suggested replacement number HWM5467. Right now it's $181.25 (ouch!).
http://www.encompassparts.com/

Doorman board can be found for under $50 through Amazon. you'd have to be nutz to spend $181 to repair a $200 radio.

I wouldn't argue with that at all, it would be a last resort if someone was bound and determined to keep their Mach radio. Would you be good enough to give us the link or a search phrase to find the board on Amazon?

The radio is not modified only repaired, the links are to replacement boards that feed the digital display. The radio itself only accepts one cd the console cd caddy holds the others and they are selected by the numbered buttons on the faceplate.

The radio is not modified only repaired, the links are to replacement boards that feed the digital display. The radio itself only accepts one cd the console cd caddy holds the others and they are selected by the numbered buttons on the faceplate.

The second link you posted shows original ford radios that have been modified and have had aux inputs installed. I don't know about paying $185 for a older stereo though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150755839745?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I wouldn't argue with that at all, it would be a last resort if someone was bound and determined to keep their Mach radio. Would you be good enough to give us the link or a search phrase to find the board on Amazon?

i don't recall the company. it was something like www.carpartsking.com. i found it by searching for "2000 Explorer radio power board" it was Dorman p/n 586-001. lowest price i found.

i don't recall the company. it was something like www.carpartsking.com. i found it by searching for "2000 Explorer radio power board" it was Dorman p/n 586-001. lowest price i found.

I too have the missing display. If you search Amazon for
Dorman p/n 586-001 they are sold by a number of places.
Mine cost less than 50.00 with free shipping.

I contacted biscaynekid and as of today he has posted on Ebay Motors his Display Repair fix. Very reasonable pricing ($45 plus $10.55 Shipping) with a guarantee to fix again if it goes out at no extra charge except the shipping. No hassles. I have done purchased mine and there are only 7 left. It will only run 9 more days from today.

Went to e-Bay and this was all I found. Although they are advertising CD repair/replacement, they also do display work. But it ain't cheap, at $127.20. Haven't called them just yet - gonna keep on looking.

Can anyone post pictures again of the radio disassembly and repair? I came in really late to this thread, but I just bought this vehicle, and aside from the display on the radio, it looks like it just came off the showroom floor, and I want to try fixing it myself.

I worked for years as an electronic tech for Motorola, building, testing and repairing their MT500 radios, so I'm really confident with soldering. I'd just like to see how the radio comes apart. Already got the removal tool to pull the radio out of the dash.

TIA,

Gary, there are many theads here of members doing their own repair(soldering/fixing). See if you can find one of those having some kind of description or pictures.

I had already paid to have mine done before most of the threads began here. I had a Dave Miller(likely retired now) do mine, fix a couple of buttons, CD repair, plus he added five RCA cables. I have not used the RCA outputs yet, I wish I'd have had him do a spare unit for me. I have an extra Mach deck that needs the display repair. Night,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone looking for a board, rockauto.com has the radio display power board for $53.00. It works great and no reason to pay some elese to do the work as it is a very easy procedure. (it includes instructions)

Back