Radio Display is out, Please Help. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Display is out, Please Help.

Today while driving I was thinking about this problem. I realized that the temperatures outside have been 90+ recently and all of a sudden the display problem is worse. Today at work I parked in covered parking to keep the car cool and when I left the display came on. It stayed on for a few minutes and eventually went out. Usually when I park in the sun the display never comes on. This leads me to believe that the problem is directly related to the heat.
GJarrett please keep us informed on how the fan works with regards to this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I was reading the Explorer News Group tonight, I may have found a fix for this infamous display disapperance trick. Heathen Horde posted this:

I am an electronics technician and encountered the same problem. The 1998 Ford Explorer cd/casssette radio model number f87f-18c868-cd does not have a light bulb in the display. The problem is solder connections on the display. The constant pushing of buttons flexes the circuit board on the front of the radio and breaks the connections loose.

1. Take your radio out, pull the top cover and remove the two screws that hold the face plate on.

2. Unplug the circtuit board that is behind the face plate.

3. Now look on the opposite side of the circuit board where the glass display is soldered to the board. If you look closely at the ends of the rows of solder connections, you will notice that a couple of them are broken loose. A cheap $8 radio shack soldering iron and roll of solder will fix this problem.

I hope this helps!! If you want to e-mail him for more info, send it to heathenhorde@aol.com .

Sounds good and I REALLY hope that's the problem so I'll go buy one of those tools to remove the radio and check it out.

The only thing that worries me is that he identified the cause as "the constant pushing of buttons" flexing the circuit board. I've got an EB with the steering wheel controls and almost never use the buttons on the radio....... although my display problem is intermittent which would indeed seem to indicate a loose connection.

Seems that if the car gets shaken enough it would have the same effect as pushing the buttons.
When my display first started going out I remember I could brake hard and it would mysteriously come back

DOH!

LOL! Everyone here KNOWS how I have always kept mine on the smooth and tame highway
wink.gif
There's no way I could EVER have shaken an electrical connection in this grocery-getter
biggrin.gif

Atleast I don't feel alone

I have a '98 XLT with around 66,000 miles on it and the radio display just went the other day too. I went looking at aftermarkets but I have a 6 disc-changer and the store said it would not be compatible with an aftermarket radio. Is that true?
Has anyone tried arguing with Ford about getting their radio fixed (after warranty) because of the amount of people in here that have a problem?

I have an extended-warranty, but the radio is one of the exclusions (gee, wonder why??).

Also, any places where I can get the info (online) on how to take the radio out to check it?

Thanks a lot!!

Im hoping to resolder those connections sometime next week. If someone has already done that feel free to post how it went and any tips you have.

radio display

I had the radio display on my 98 sport go bad. My local dealer repaired it for $50 on my extended warrenty. He said this is a common problem on all fords not just explorers.

Heck guys it sounds like we outta call Ford and ask for them to recall the radios in 98's. Yes mine went out also, but luckily it was under warranty. Come on, someone must be a lawyer on here. Life without a radio display causes "lots of....um... emotional distress" SAY IT WITH ME - "Emotional Distress"

j/k

They wouldn't replace mine under warrantee :(
When we got the car we decided that we should get a warrantee that covers everything except the "luxury" items up to 90,000 miles. So now I get to try to fix the 300 dollar POS

No Display some display

Add yet another 98 explorer to the list. Same problem as everyone else. Display starts to work 30 minutes later ...then fades out again. Ford should recall this ....but they won't.

found a solution - $175 though.....

Wow....I didn't realize this thread would get this big...sucks for all of us...anyways I hope this helps:

The OEM of the 98 Ford Explorer Mach Audio system is Visteon Corporation.

According to an authorized Vistion Dealer the display problem is due to a circut card that burns out/malfunctions which controls the display. They can repair this for me for $175. Although paying $175 to fix this every couple of years I have the car is going to suck!

I was thinking of purchasing the CD6 Music System, the authorized dealer will sell it to me for $500, and this makes use of the steering wheel controls and back seat controls.
http://www.evisteon.com/b2c/cd6_features.htm

Here is the Authorized Visteon Dealer that gave me the details of the display problem:

Name: National Car Radio Sales & Service

Watertown, MA, 02172
Distance: 33 Miles

Phone: 800-225-3256
617-926-1075
Fax: 617-926-3174
Email: ncri@tiac.net

A SOLUTION TO EVERYONES PROBLEM

Get a new HU.

Also to the guy who spent 475$ to replace err repair the Ford stock HU. Jesus dude, you could have gotten a cheap SYSTEM for that price. Well I hoped i helped everyone. This is a big ass post.

There are good reasons why we don't get new HUs. Some of us like the in console cd changer and the steering wheel controls, and the rear controls. These can no longer be used with an aftermarket HU. There is a cheap solution for everyone with this problem but it requires patience and some electrical know how. All you have to do is remove the HU open it up, carefully resolder the connections close it up then re install the HU.

thats a poo poo reason.

Is the display problem limited to Explorers, or is it occuring Ford wide?

Thanks.....

exploreres seeem to be the most prone tew it. right now im watching a movie , with Jim Belushi in it.

Originally posted by DaninCO
thats a poo poo reason.

Some of use got a particular package on our Xplorer so we could have steering wheel controls. We paid extra for that. Now we should just pay more money for an aftermarket HU that cant use those controls?!?!? I'm gonna fix it myself but I think ford will eventually recall it

yea yer right

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine going too

Sounds like I am not the only one with a '98 XLT with the same problem. Occaisionally comes on for a short time then vanishes. It seems that our dealership is aware of this problem. When asked what I should do he gave me the name and number of someone local who they deal with. He told me that if it was still under warranty they would replace it with a remanufactured unit. (One that has already had the problem but been repaired!) I am going to contact them and see if I can make some sort of a "trade".

Back