• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Radio Is Powered Full Time.

vig1116

Reaction score
City, State
monmouth, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 sport
So I'm sitting in my car with the kids while wife is in the dr's. Shut car off, left radio on. After ten minutes shuts off like its supposed to. 45 minutes later I'm playing with the radio power button and when I hit it, the radio and nav screen comes on and music playing... Is this normal?? Is there power to the radio 24/7? That can't be cause eventually the battery would fail, no? Or is it just cause it senses the FOB in my pocket and turns on cause of that? I did open and shut my door after the ten minute shutoff, just once.

EdIt: shuts off again after ten minutes, turns on again. And no, the ACC is NOT on. Just the screen has power not the instrument cluster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
So I'm sitting in my car with the kids while wife is in the dr's. Shut car off, left radio on. After ten minutes shuts off like its supposed to. 45 minutes later I'm playing with the radio power button and when I hit it, the radio and nav screen comes on and music playing... Is this normal?? Is there power to the radio 24/7? That can't be cause eventually the battery would fail, no? Or is it just cause it senses the FOB in my pocket and turns on cause of that? I did open and shut my door after the ten minute shutoff, just once.

EdIt: shuts off again after ten minutes, turns on again. And no, the ACC is NOT on. Just the screen has power not the instrument cluster.
I just tried mine and it did the same thing. Also tried it without the fob being in range and I could still turn the radio on.
Tried starting the Ex and the right and left screens came on with NO KEY DETECTED shown on the left sreen. Both L & R screens then turned off.

Peter

Peter

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Yeah, they do that. We used to play with MFT on the cars on the dealer lots once we found that the radio would always turn on.

vig1116

Reaction score
City, State
monmouth, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 sport
thats just odd..... now I'm thinking I'm gonna wake up one day with a homeless guy in my ex jamming to the rolling stones... lmao but does it have any impact on the battery life? (i mean obviously if the radio is left on its bad, but even just having the power on standby??)

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
thats just odd..... now I'm thinking I'm gonna wake up one day with a homeless guy in my ex jamming to the rolling stones... lmao but does it have any impact on the battery life? (i mean obviously if the radio is left on its bad, but even just having the power on standby??)
I doubt it would have any real negative effect on battery life. If you stop to think about it, with all the electronics on board, there are other items that are being fed power all the time. That is why when you disconnect/reconnect the battery, there are various things that the Ex has to relearn like transmission shift points, idle and trim settings. There is a section in the manual on resetting the idle and trim or you can let the Ex relearn those over time.

Peter

vig1116

Reaction score
City, State
monmouth, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 sport
yeah, makes sense. It just caught me off guard when it happened i guess....

dco43054

Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 XLT
Could it be that you have a Limited and the key is a fob, which is read as active when you are in the car?

vig1116

Reaction score
City, State
monmouth, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 sport
thats what i thought dco, but as peter stated, he tried it without the FOB in range and it still did it....

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
When we were shopping, every car we sat in, whether XLT or Limited, regardless of premium sound or MFT, we could turn on the stereo.

cowboyearl

Reaction score
City, State
columbia kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 exployer limited
mine too

I saw the post, so i tried mine. I like it. I was pushing the start button every time my radio went off to listen to it. Now, when it goes off i just turn it on again. It will still go off after 10 minutes or so. I think this is a cool feature. I really like to be able to just touch the door and it all unlocks. This is the only vehicle i have seen that has it. The remote start is also cool. 95 degrees out, hit the remote start, by the time we walk from the mall door to get in its cooled off. My only problems have been the windshield noise, (black electrical tape) fixed it and the rain noise. I'll live with it. I'm not letting any FORD tech try to fix it and make it worse.

:exp:

FordIVTteam

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
Hey everyone!

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. :)

This is what we call Audio Extended Play. It's a feature that enables the audio system to remain on after the ignition is off and any door has been opened. When the power button on the radio is pressed, the audio system functionality is restored. To turn it off, simply press the power button again.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Rebecca

robr2

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
My 2005 Passat also has this feature. I can turn on the radio without the keys just by pushing the power button.

Tim Stone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
Hello Everyone! My first time posting here. Just bought a 2014 Explorer, and notice that when I get in the vehicle the Radio can be turned on and played without a key in the ignition. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Hello Everyone! My first time posting here. Just bought a 2014 Explorer, and notice that when I get in the vehicle the Radio can be turned on and played without a key in the ignition. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix?
Welcome to the Forum Tim Stone.:wavey:
As Rebecca has already pointed out, this is normal. The radio can be powered ON/OFF whether the ignition is ON or OFF. If it is left on after you turn off the ignition I believe it will shutoff after 20 minutes.

NOTE: It would also be helpful in answering concerns/questions if you added the Explorer model to your profile so that it shows in the left margin where your name is. Some issue may be model specific.

Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

T-1000

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Tim's post says when he gets IN the vehicle the radio works before he put the key in the ignition... that's normal? Of course like most cars the radio and windows still have power for awhile after you turn the engine off (until you open a door) but it works when you first get in too??

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Tim's post says when he gets IN the vehicle the radio works before he put the key in the ignition... that's normal? Of course like most cars the radio and windows still have power for awhile after you turn the engine off (until you open a door) but it works when you first get in too??
Yes that is normal. The radio can be turned on at any time. The ignition does not control the power to the radio.

Peter

1995E

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I find that feature convenient because I like to play my audio without having the car on. It works especially well when waiting for someone at the parking lot.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I find that feature convenient because I like to play my audio without having the car on. It works especially well when waiting for someone at the parking lot.
That's exactly how I found out that radio shuts off after 20 minutes. :D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Tim Stone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
Thanks!

Just found it odd that I went out in the morning, without ever starting the vehicle and the radio came on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Radio antenna and Car cover! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
Bobs2018Explorer 2-way radio Installation experience on late-model Explorer XLT Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
A Enabling HD radio on my 2011 XLT Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
R 2019 Limited radio won't find FM stations well Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
jcmeyer5 2014 Explorer - no HD radio Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 20
J Aftermarket Radio Upgrade 2015 Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
L 2013 Explorer XLT Radio Configuration Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
U Aftermarket Radio For 2019 Explorer? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
K Android radio upgrade questions.... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
F 2011 Ford Explorer Radio Upgrade Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 32
K Android radio and remote start questions Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
T Adding HD Radio Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
T Radio issue Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
L Check Charging light and NO a/c, No cooling fans, No radio? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
E Instrument Cluster/Radio Issue Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
J Extending Radio Play in Acc Posistion Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
G Roof Radio Antenna Too Tall to Get Car in Garage Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
D Anyone make/buy a keyless fob radio transmitter shield? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 27
B CB Radio Mount Question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
D Radio Alert Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
J 2016 explorer xlt radio upgrade Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
R Sirius Radio Not Stereo Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
A Radio knob - rubber ring Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
L would you risk it ?? replacement radio/nav Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 33
P Feedback in radio? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
G Radio/phone mute Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
V 2013 base model radio stays on. non MFT radio. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
P Question about Sirius satellite radio - adding my unit Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
M MFT & Radio is like playing Roulette every time I start my EX Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
C Newbie - need to get to back of radio - 2012 Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
J Find My Son Listening To Radio While I'm Out of Vehicle With Keys ? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J 2013 Explorer Sony radio Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
H syncmyride website doesn't show correct radio setup Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
BobbyMarks Sync or MFT not recognizing Radio/Sirius command Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
R Satellite Radio Frozen Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
S Radio won't turn on Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 57
D AM Radio - any connection to roof fix??? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 44
J My Radio Kept Playing After I left My Vehicle .... Odd... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 38
H 2012 Base Radio Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
O MFT - Radio features Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
T Where is the passenger radio volume control Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
R Sirius radio settings Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
F Radio Signal Cuts Out Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 43
T Radio Volume Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
G AM Radio Reception 2011 Ex Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
D Intermittent Radio Issue Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
H How to get Sirius radio ID? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J Entertainment Unit Ends Up on AM Radio all By Itself..... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
C HD radio?? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
S Radio auto volume control Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10