• Register Today It's free!

Radio LED display fix!!!

bseblfevr9

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
After replacing the LED driver board once this year, the LED display died again. I read ALL the threads out there and pinpointed the problem. The board in the unit (behind display board) has a heat shield over it. Remove the board and look under it and see if the shield solder pionts are burnt and bleeding onto other connections. If so, clean them off with a stiff brush and wipe all so they are not shorting out anymore. It fixed my display problem ASAP. Email me for info......:hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this the premium dual media unit?

Yeah
For a longer thread about this problem try:
Dead Link Removed

Good Luck

im gonna try this in a few weeks, when i go home for winter break. hopefully, if it works, i wont have to blow $400 on a new one :p

Yes it is a dual media unit....

You need the special tool to pop out the unit from the dash (at any auto supply store for $5).
Once you have it out, there are two small black screws holding the front face plate on, remove them and snap out the remaining four slots on the sides to totally remove the face plate and disconnect one ribbon cable attached to the front panel.
Now remove the top silver cover of the radio unit where you will see on the top left, a small silver heat shield over a small circuit board (long and narrow) attached to the unit . There two small pieces of metal holding the board in place (twist them ) and remove the one screw on the back holding the shield in place. When finally removed, flip it over and check for hot spots and solder
splashes...clean good with stiff brush and reinstall!

unbelievable!

Ok, my display has been out for, oh, 20k miles, and I was just living without the display. This procedure sounded simple enough, so I gave it a go, and to my surprise, the thing actually works! I actually have a display! Granted, it might not be there in the morning, but tonight, december 6, the display works. Absolutely amazing.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!
-ANdy

Good job Andy!!

Keep the tools handy for I dont know how long it will last...but at least I feel the heat in the unit is too much and causing our problems.
Just clean and reinstall!

Tom:chug:

Do either of you have pictures of exactly what to clean. I don't want to go and scrub something with a wire brush and end up causing a scratch that shorts it and then i have no display & no something else (sound, controls...)

You should see "hot spots" or burnt marks around the four solder spots that attach the heat shield to the board.
I used a short brissel nylon brush which is safer than a wire brush..

Let me know,
Tom

For all the other hi-tech stuff I've got, you'd think I'd have a digital camera. I don't, so I can't take a pic. The part I 'cleaned' is on the top left side under a heat? shield. I removed the top of the radio (after removing the face). It just pops off. Then, looking down, on the left hand side is a circuit board with a piece of shielding over it. The shielding is soldered to this board (the circuit board is maybe an inch by 3-4 inches). To get the shield/board off, I had to twist two of the retaining 'tabs' and unscrew a heatsink on the back. THen the board just popped off. Two (of I thin four) solder joints holding on the shield were actually broken. It looked like this whole area got kinda hot, because some of the circuit board around the resistor leads were darkened. (really it looked like maybe a resistor had blown, although the component side of the board didn't look that way.. no burn marks around any of the components). I just took an old toothbrush and scrubbed the back of the board (solder side) rather aggressively. Really, I don't know if this has ANYTHING to do with fixing the radio. Oftentimes I've found that simply taking something apart, touching it, and putting it back together makes it work.. at least for a little bit. Since this is the first time I've opened my radio, perhaps this is the same situation? I don't know, but I was VERY surprised when the clock came on! Unless you hear otherwise, assume that its still working!

Well this morning i attempted it. So far its much better but still somewhat intermittent. I took pictures but there are still 14 exposures left on this role so i probably won't be able to post them until after new year's. My first question is this: The part you cleaned is in the main part of the HU right? I went ahead and cleaned what fit the description of what yall said. But i can't get all the stuff off. After I hooked it back up I didnt get a display but only let it try for like 1 minute. Did yall solder the heat shield back on? Also I went ahead and took the board off of the faceplate(12 screws). Looking near the glass there was a big black blotch on the LED screen. It looked like a calculator after something smashed the screen. Sort of like an ink spill. Well i couldnt get access to that so i couldnt clean that but i did clean 2 of the soldered connections that connect the LED screen to the circuit board. I then reassembled it and put it back in. Now i have display almost always when i turn the car on but not when i turn it to accessories or to the on position without starting it. Now my final question is did either of you use any solvent or distilled water or anything to try to get that nasty stuff off? My old toothbrush just couldnt get it all off. Thanks

I used contact cleaner and a tooth brush. It last about a month ...then had to repeat the procedure and it is fine now. Be sure to resolder the heat shield back on!

oh contact cleaner. I better find a soldering iron and some solder.
:eek:

well i still can't get mine to work. But i broke our 30 yr old soldering iron:rolleyes:.When you say contact cleaner do you mean contact lens cleaner or something else. Wouldnt contact lens cleaner not work because all it is is saline and that will conduct electricity? i think i may try some distilled water first.

:nono: Hey ok89, I wouldn't recommend y9ou use distilled water. Try rubbing alcohol, it will clean, evaporate and not damage the circuitry.

I used rubbing alcohol. But I still have no display. So I said screw it.

Me too. I tried it, used electrical contact spray and alcohol and now it is completely dead. Oh well, maybe I'll try it again when I get ambitious.

Had the same problem with my radio LED display.

I followed boilermakerfan's instructions on taking the thing apart; found nearly the same situation - 2 of the shield's attach points were broken, burned goop on the bottom of the board. Cleaned off board with a brush & resoldered the shield connections.

It's working perfectly now. Thanks for the great info, boilermakerfan!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radio Display FIX

:bounce: I finally got the guts to take my dual media, premium sound unit out and give it a go as far as cleaning the contacts and excess flux off the board. Well it was actually two boards that I worked on. The first was the backside of the display unit; I scrubbed between the solder joints with solder solvent, after removing the 12 or so screws that held the board down. Then inspected with a magnifying glass and removed the flux which was a thin film of crusty material. Then I removed the top cover of the radio and there was a very small circuit board (~.5" x 1.5" with three leads hooked to it. Cleaned between those solder joints too. Put it all back together and VOILA, it did work. Don't know if either or both of those circuit boards were the culprit, but it works now.
If you have any questions, feel free to give me a buzz at bobandsue@iwvisp.com.

Back