• Register Today It's free!

Radio not working on startup

Breakdown02

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Several times now, when starting up our 2016 Platinum Explorer with sync 2, the radio doesn't work. It's off upon starting the vehicle and can't be turned on either by the power button on the sync screen or by the power button on the volume knob on the center console. We also can't make the radio go to full screen, however the other 3 screens work fine.

If you shut the vehicle off for about 5 mins and start it back up, it returns to normal. But if you only shut it off for a few seconds, it still won't work. And yes, we opened the door to completely power off the vehicle.

Has anyone else had this issue? I know it's an issue in the F150's with sync 3 as well. We haven't had time to take it to the dealership and since it doesn't happen on a regular basis, the chances of them being able to recreate the problem are probably pretty slim. We have not tried any of the resets that can be done by holding down certain buttons on the radio because I just learned of them tonight. Thanks for any input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have not tried any of the resets that can be done by holding down certain buttons on the radio because I just learned of them tonight.

Been using MFT since 2011 and never heard of this, can you share what you found?

Never had an issue with the system on our Platinum.

Been using MFT since 2011 and never heard of this, can you share what you found?

Upon start up, the radio shows its off and it can not be turned on. And you can't bring the radio portion of the MFT to full screen, but you can with the navigation, heating/cooling screen and phone screen.

On the F150 forum, people have tried to do some resets, but that didn't work. And it seems like the dealerships haven't been able to figure out a solution either. But shutting the vehicle off for 5 mins seems to reset everything so it works. But shutting it off for 5 seconds does not.

Here's the link to the F150 page: http://www.f150forum.com/f118/why-cant-i-get-my-radio-any-audio-turn-337907/

There's definitely several bugs with MFT.
Myself, along with another member on here, are having issues with MFT being stuck in the mobile device segment after the screen switches back from camera mode and pressing the home button does not function as intended (going back to the home screen).
Only way to get out, is to touch one of the other screen segments.

[MENTION=181992]FordIVTteam[/MENTION] have you heard of this or have any suggestions other than the obvious of going to dealer.

Several times now, when starting up our 2016 Platinum Explorer with sync 2, the radio doesn't work. It's off upon starting the vehicle and can't be turned on either by the power button on the sync screen or by the power button on the volume knob on the center console. We also can't make the radio go to full screen, however the other 3 screens work fine.

If you shut the vehicle off for about 5 mins and start it back up, it returns to normal. But if you only shut it off for a few seconds, it still won't work. And yes, we opened the door to completely power off the vehicle.

Has anyone else had this issue? I know it's an issue in the F150's with sync 3 as well. We haven't had time to take it to the dealership and since it doesn't happen on a regular basis, the chances of them being able to recreate the problem are probably pretty slim. We have not tried any of the resets that can be done by holding down certain buttons on the radio because I just learned of them tonight. Thanks for any input!
Do you turn the radio OFF manually before turning the ignition OFF or is the radio in the ON mode when you turn the ignition OFF?

Peter

Upon start up, the radio shows its off and it can not be turned on. And you can't bring the radio portion of the MFT to full screen, but you can with the navigation, heating/cooling screen and phone screen.

On the F150 forum, people have tried to do some resets, but that didn't work. And it seems like the dealerships haven't been able to figure out a solution either. But shutting the vehicle off for 5 mins seems to reset everything so it works. But shutting it off for 5 seconds does not.

Here's the link to the F150 page: http://www.f150forum.com/f118/why-cant-i-get-my-radio-any-audio-turn-337907/

Ahhh, that reset was for SYNC3, wonder if it works for MFT.

"hold down the power button and the right seek button for a few seconds. "

Anybody?

Myself, along with another member on here, are having issues with MFT being stuck in the mobile device segment after the screen switches back from camera mode and pressing the home button does not function as intended (going back to the home screen).

Yes 613GT500, that will be me who is having that issue with mobile device segment. Just curious what kind of phone do you have?
The dealership did not get back to me yet on this issue, I am guessing that they are avoiding giving me a response as they do not have any straight forward answer.

Also, yesterday the MFT on my 16 sport got stuck on Navigation, just plain map no buttons showing and no button I pushed worked and then after couple of mins it reset itself. I got the black sync screen with system is updating and then went back to normal.

[MENTION=181992]FordIVTteam[/MENTION] have you heard of this or have any suggestions other than the obvious of going to dealer.

Hi cwescapexlt4x4,

Thanks for summoning us! :) I have seen a few vehicles experience this issue. We're not trained mechanics, so our troubleshooting is limited to software concerns. If the system reset does not fix the issue, a dealership visit is needed. The dealers also have support to help them with concerns they may have trouble diagnosing.

Breakdown02,

Please make an appointment with the dealer. If they are stumped on a resolution, make sure they consult with Tech Hotline for additional assistance.

Keep me in the loop.

Ahhh, that reset was for SYNC3, wonder if it works for MFT.

"hold down the power button and the right seek button for a few seconds. "

Anybody?

Lewisra,

The system reset does not work on the MyFord Touch system; it's only for SYNC 3.

Yes 613GT500, that will be me who is having that issue with mobile device segment. Just curious what kind of phone do you have?
The dealership did not get back to me yet on this issue, I am guessing that they are avoiding giving me a response as they do not have any straight forward answer.

Also, yesterday the MFT on my 16 sport got stuck on Navigation, just plain map no buttons showing and no button I pushed worked and then after couple of mins it reset itself. I got the black sync screen with system is updating and then went back to normal.

613GT500 & copter7,

Do you have 911 assist turned on or off: http://owner.ford.com/sync-technology/911-assist-overview-sync-myford-touch

Get back to me when you get a chance.

Shaay

Do you turn the radio OFF manually before turning the ignition OFF or is the radio in the ON mode when you turn the ignition OFF?

Peter

The radio is in the on mode when I shut it off.

Breakdown02,

Please make an appointment with the dealer. If they are stumped on a resolution, make sure they consult with Tech Hotline for additional assistance.

Keep me in the loop.

Shaay

I'm almost ready for my first oil change so I'll mention it when I go in for that. But you and I both know it's not going to malfunction when I'm there!!! :)

I'm almost ready for my first oil change so I'll mention it when I go in for that. But you and I both know it's not going to malfunction when I'm there!!! :)

I have an note 5. Your dealership should be able to easily replicate the problem as it does it without fail. Good luck and keep me posted about that. As I said before my dealership is just avoiding giving me an answer and using the we will call and ask the tech line excuse.

Hi Shaay,
I have 911 assist turned off on mine.

If you have 911 Assist disabled, you’ll receive audio and visual reminders of its status when your phone connects to SYNC. This is why the MyFord Touch switch to the PHONE screen. You can either turn 911 Assist on or disable audio reminders by switching the reminder to OFF: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/settings/911-assist-overview.html

That's how it always works! You can also try to capture a video to show them in the event it doesn't happen during your appointment.

Keep me in the loop. :)

Shaay

If you have 911 Assist disabled, you’ll receive audio and visual reminders of its status when your phone connects to SYNC. This is why the MyFord Touch switch to the PHONE screen. You can either turn 911 Assist on or disable audio reminders by switching the reminder to OFF: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/settings/911-assist-overview.html
Shaay

Thanks Shaay,
I already have the reminders set to off and even if I switch the 911 assist to on it still does it.
It does it every time I turn the vehicle on and put reverse and then put back in drive. it is a specific pattern that does not fail.

Do you have auto phone book download (or whatever it's called) turned off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back