Radio replacement 1998 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio replacement 1998 XLT

MarioC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hi,

I have a 1998 XLT 4dr and I am looking to replace the radio as the display stopped working. I spoke to the guys at Crutchfield and they asked if I have a factory amp or not. How does one tell if you have a factory amp or not. I have AM/FM single CD, cassette in dash (not a Mach) and a six disc cd changer in the center console.

It seems as they they supply a different harness if there is an amp or not. Can you tell by removing the radio and looking at the harness.

She runs like new, 115,000 miles on it and the only issue is the radio display and it is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
Mario

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my Explorer 1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC the amp is behind the panel in the boot compartment (driver's side (Right hand steering wheel in my case)).
Just remove 1 screw and 4 press-on buttons and you can bend the plastic away to see if you have an amp. It's like 20 by 10 cm in size.

Good luck!

i just replaced the factory radio to a slide out touch screen and i love this more than the factory and its so easy to do it

The radio display fix is in the sticks at the top of this forum.
It's an easy fix, or send it out for about 80 bucks and it's fixed with a lifetime warranty.
All the info is in the sticky.

i just replaced the factory radio to a slide out touch screen and i love this more than the factory and its so easy to do it

I did the same thing. It was actually cheaper to go with a better, more up to date aftermarket unit than it was to replace this Ford garbage unit.

Back