Radio static, need help deciding what to replace/fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio static, need help deciding what to replace/fix

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I'm battling a case of radio static here, and I've been meaning to fix it for years, but never got around to it. It seemed like poor reception at first, but even when there's no reception issues, the speakers make popping noises almost like they're blown, but other times they sound perfect.

Here's the deal though, I need to identify whether I've got the premium amp or not. The back of my front speakers say "Premium", but my radio seems to be a base unit.

P1510090000.jpg

I'm not sure if only the Premium radios with the sub got the amp in the rear passenger side panel, or all the radios have an amp there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the same unit I had, and I had the amp.

I 2nd that. Same one and I have an amp without a sub. right side speakers suck (last owner hooked an amp to just the right side speakers) :(

Left side speakers are good. Waiting to drop in my pioneer DEF-P6600 when I get the right wiring harness. Then replacing the speakers. amp bypass or run new wires? I've been told to just run new speaker wires.

Edit: check the amp out, Mine has a coax cable running into it, it may have something to do with the radio not picking up... maybe?

My next question then...do I really have to take off the whole side panel to get to the amp?

Sounds like the same symptoms I had when my amp went bad. I chose to bypass the factory amp and install a new head unit. You do not have to completely remove the panel but you do need to remove enough of the screws on the panel so you can pull it back to get at the amp.

Is there anywhere I can just get a new stock amp for this thing? I tried looking through rock auto for it, but I guess they don't carry it. Im not really looking to upgrade the head unit or anything, but If I can't find new amp, I guess I'll have to bypass it and go that route.

To tell you the truth, I had the same problem, thought it was the stock radio, replaced all 4 speakers, bypassed the amp, and put in a after market head unit I had in my Trans Am, and I still have the exact same static issue I had before, no change....except I now have CD....

I suspect the antenna....

It sounds almost exactly like what you describe.

You might be able to find a replacement in a junk yard but it probably wouldn't be worth it. You could also just install an aftermarket amp but then again it might not be worth the hassle. New head units are not that expensive and offer benefits like auxillary inputs for your Ipod.

Alright, so if I decide to go with a new headunit, Ill need the bypass stuff for the old amp, which I can find.

Is there any kind of adapter I need to hook the standard wiring into the new headunit? And since Im getting rid of the old amp, am I relying on just the headunit to power the speakers, and if so, how does that compare to the stock head and amp setup?

Also Im assuming that if my antenna has an issue, that the problem wouldnt be with the antenna itself?

Before you buy a new head unit you might want pull the factory unit out and check the antennae connection to make sure that is the problem. If you only get static while playing the radio (as opposed to tapes or CDs) that is probably the problem. To get info on headunits I used crutchfield.com. Most head units have enough power to handle the stock speakers and even upgraded speakers. You will need a wiring harness to bypass the amp and to install the new headunit. While crutchfield is rarely the cheapest source to buy a head unit they do include the wiring harnesses you will need and the tool to remove the head unit. Once you add in those costs it generally costs about the same of buying the pieces from separate sources.

Well I pulled the head unit to check the connections, they looked good as did the antenna...i reseated the antenna to be sure. But I also did some checking with my ipod and FM transmitter, as well as a side by side with another car radio, and my reception seems to be poor all around.

You might want to replace the antennae first and see if that helps.

Heres an update.

Pulled the grilles off both front speakers:

P1710090000.jpg

Im sure the rears are the same.

Those will work. Trust me any upgrade to aftermarket speakers from stock will make an impact and noticeable improvement. As for those speakers, i'd buy them but my paypal account is $60 to short atm :(

Free shipping also so that's a plus. ;)

Alright I went ahead and bought them. Hopefully I have them within the week. :D

I bought 2 pair of Vr3 speakers from Wally world, and they sound great... they were like $23 a pair. So under 50$. I got the 5x7 ones, they were always out of stock so I had to search several Wal-marts I passed in my normal travels to find them. Around here they say they can't get enough of them to keep them instock since so many cars and trucks take the 5x7 size.

Anyway, cheap, easy, and local! (I'm NEVER home when the UPS guys come, so it's a 30-40 miles drive to the UPS/FEDX places, and they won't leave them on the porch where I live for some reason) So, anyway, I HATE shipping anything. :)

Just FYI for those who might be interested.

On a side note, I still have my sucky reception issue, I still get static on Radio stations. I took the radio out of my Trans Am and sitting right next to the truck it got fine reception, in the truck it gets sucky reception.

And the rubber surrond on all 4 of my speakers was nothing but dust..... replacing the speakers helped, but still have static.

Alright, I got the front two installed and they sound MUCH better, but I did notice one thing...the ones I bought are 4 Ohm, which is what I thought the stockers were, but I had someone mention that the stock ones are 8ohms???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, I got the front two installed and they sound MUCH better, but I did notice one thing...the ones I bought are 4 Ohm, which is what I thought the stockers were, but I had someone mention that the stock ones are 8ohms???

8ohm speakers are more commonly found attached to a household radio. I don't know why this it but all car speakers I've owner were either 4 or 6 ohm. I also had a set of 12" RF punch subs that were 8ohm.

To my knowledge 8ohm speakers take more power to = the same as a 4ohm.

So say 100 watts into an 8ohm = 200 into a 4ohm.

It was a PITA trying to push both of those 8ohm subs off of a 425 WATT amp. Pushing one the subs sounds awesome. Tried both and if they sounded like that when I got them I would have had to pass, Even when it was all free ;)

That's all from my understanding of speakers and amps. 4ohm sound better then 8ohm when supplied with the same power. personal opinion maybe.

Back