• Register Today It's free!

Radio swap

NateEB

Reaction score
City, State
Coeur D Alene, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB
The tape player in my wifes X died. I kept the stock deck from my 91 Ford Taurus when i put in a CD player. Does anyone know if I could just swap the decks without any problems?

If they look the same, it will work.

If both radios have a round volume control knob (meaning they are both Midline radio HU's), it WILL work.

If both radios have a "toggle button" for a volume control (meaning they are both Premium HU's) it Will work.

If one has a round volume knob, and one has a toggle button volume control, it will NOT WORK.

regards,

cobrajeff

I used a CD unit from another Ford, a "FIESTA" I think that this model is only out in latin america, well anyway, it works...

Both have round volume control knob, but, the real problem is the plug back there... eventhough that the volume control was the same, the plug was tottaly different... so it's not a bolt on/plug in mod...

My Solution:

I cut the wires of the Fiesta, making sure to keep a good lenght of wire in both ends, the one that stay in the car for the next player and the one that comes with the plug to my explorer....

Then, I already have and adaptor used to not cut the wires on the X, so, I grab the plug, macht the wires, 12v, speakers, ground, amplifier, and all the stuff, and I got a CD player from a friend, in payment to mount his new Pioneer CD player....

Hope this helps...

If the deck out of the Taurus has 4 holes in the face, for the extraction tool, then you shold be fine, other than the plug differences between high end and low end radios.....

Back