Radio turns on/off by its self | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio turns on/off by its self

frieseg

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger 4x4
What would be causing the radio to turn on/off by its self and even switch from FM to CD without touching any buttons? 2000 Ranger 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Stock radio or aftermarket? Have you added an aftermarket alarm, speakers, anything?

..The better picture you paint of what you are working with will give others a better idea of how to assist you..;)

Nothing aftermarket

Factory equipped am/fm-cassette-cd. 150,000 miles on it, been rode hard and put up wet, but there are no squeeks and rattles.

Same issue 1999 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab. Driving down the road and the radio will turn on all by itslef. Or driving down the road listening to the radio and it will try and switch to the CD player, then says NO CD and switches back to the radio.

Looks to be the factory radio. 105K miles and truck has been very well taken care of. It is new to me however so I don't have a history on how long this has been an issue.

Thanks - Allen

..These sound like shorts you need to trace..

..I would first check for simple shorts at connector behind radio, amplifier, or nicks/splices in the wires..It could also mean there is a short in the radio itself or it's power wire..:(

Same issue 1999 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab. Driving down the road and the radio will turn on all by itslef. Or driving down the road listening to the radio and it will try and switch to the CD player, then says NO CD and switches back to the radio.

Looks to be the factory radio. 105K miles and truck has been very well taken care of. It is new to me however so I don't have a history on how long this has been an issue.

Thanks - Allen

All the same issues as mentioned above. 1999 Ford Explorer XLT, 330,000km.

Hoping it’s a quick fix or some thing I can do myself. Maybe even replacing the factory radio with some thing newer.

..These sound like shorts you need to trace..

..I would first check for simple shorts at connector behind radio, amplifier, or nicks/splices in the wires..It could also mean there is a short in the radio itself or it's power wire..:(
l have the same problem in my 2000 ford explorer and my 1999 ford ranger pickup truck. They have the same radio and CD. I believe it is a design flaw. I would like to know a fix also.

Back