Radio with Reception in Remote Areas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio with Reception in Remote Areas

MikeP

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a radio with good reception in remote areas for my 91 Ford Explorer XLT? Portable battery operated radios have much better reception in remote areas compared to the Ford OEM AM/FM Cassette radio which came with my new 91 XLT 4x4. Even my Sony Walkman gets better remote area AM and FM radio reception inside my Ford - and the Ford Explorer Radio has the external antenna! And what about a radio with improved tuning dial because the digital tuning has increments so large they have difficulty tuning in on the proper frequency (i.e. either have a digital frequency tuner with smaller digital magnitude increments or use an analog frequency tuner). My goals here are to be able to receive radio broadcasts while back in the mountains and hills some distance from the radio transmitters in major cities and towns - and I know it is feasible if these somewhat inexpensive portable radios can do it. Your suggestions on this will be greatly appreciated. Mike in Seattle

Pioneer's with the Supertuner III are good. I noticed a gain in reception. Explorer's have poor reception when compared to other cars. I don't know why but that's what I heard some where on this board.

Back