• Register Today It's free!

Radio woes

Jklnhyde03

Reaction score
City, State
Danville Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I know the dead radio topic has been beat to a pulp, but I’m still unclear on how, or why it happens.
My 00’ Sport radio (single CD w/changer in console, 6-button preset) was working and sounding awesome until I disconnected the battery for routine maintenance work. Upon restarting the car, the clock came on but the radio refuses to come ON or give any indication it’s alive. Only pressing the Eject button on the faceplate or on the changer, confirms there is power at the head unit.
I pulled, cleaned and probed every fused or switched circuit I could find in this car and they all have power...
So what’s going on?
Was there a slight voltage spike when I reconnected the battery? Really don’t think that’s the problem since I am getting mechanical functions (the Eject function)...

I see plenty of posts of Codes needed, or on-off-on sequences to follow or some other steps to follow to ‘unlock’ the radio; so far, I’m not convinced my head unit is dead, so what’s my next step?

Thanks!
Rick

EXTRA EXTRA!!
The radio started working again, folks. For the last 4 days (since the Explorer was put back in action), I drive back and forth to work and along the way try to turn on the head unit by pushing the round knob—and any other button that may help it turn on, but nothing has brought the radio back to life. Then, this afternoon on my way home, the radio decides to magically wake up—It was even on the station I had last been listening to over 2 weeks ago! How is this possible?
Was it a fluke, a number of ON-OFF ignition cycles or a random combination of buttons?!

Who the f**k knows and who the f**k cares—I got my tunes back!!

Ok, honestly, I have no clue what may have happened here...

rick

Back