Radio won't turn off help first ford | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio won't turn off help first ford

jonwalden68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer 4x4
I just bought me a 95 explorer 4x4 it's fully loaded for the year Eddie baur I can't get radio to turn off even after I open the doors I tried all 3 doors and wd 40 them thoroughly still won't turn off. It's a factory radio it plays and works good just won't turn off with key and also button Won't stay in for radio to be turn off

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sounds like someone has hot-wired the radio rather than using it's original keyed power source. is it an OE radio or aftermarket unit? do other things that shouldn't work with the key off also work (ie: wipers)? as far as it not turning off by it's on/off switch/button. the switch must be broken. opening doors has nothing to do with the radio.

edit: oh, i see you do say it's a factory unit.

Like Koda said....Sounds like it is hot wired. Not sure,but I don't think the 95 had the option of turning the radio off when you open a door. My 04 works that way ,however neither my 97 or 98 did.

Like Koda said....Sounds like it is hot wired. Not sure,but I don't think the 95 had the option of turning the radio off when you open a door. My 04 works that way ,however neither my 97 or 98 did.

if the 95's radio is supposed to turn off when the door is opened (???) maybe there's a relay or something in the GEM that's not turning off the power (???) but in any case, the on/off buttom must be broken. check you're owner's manual regarding the door thing and relays.

What does GEM stand for

I don't konw what the letters stand for, but the Gem Module is a relay that control the majority of the electrical functions in late model Ford vehicles.

Well everything else is working great off the door switches and wd 40 all them one more time still won't turn off so I guess I'm going to a radio shop tomorrow to see what they say they thought somebody rigged it up just by talking to them so hopefully won't have to buy new CD player

hey if you do need a cd player, i just pulled a removeable face plate Pioneer CD player AM/FM tuner out of a car that looks and works perfectly and has great sound. it's a model number DEH-425. i'll let it go cheap.

Ok thanks ill let you know what they say

Well everything is wired correctly its a internal prob with radio but I ended up having a bigger prob on the way home it stranded me on side of rd now it had to be towed to shop it kept stalling and sputtering it had full tank of gas and the tranny was fine when I left then it wouldn't go into reverse I have no idea what's wrong with either bc it went in reverse befor I left got there and wouldn't go so I guessing doing a tranny flush and new filter might fix it did sit over a year befor I bought

Not that this helps at all.. but.
General
Electronic
Module

From my experiences, stay away, and/or get a new one.

We're can you buy one besides junk yard

Well everything is wired correctly its a internal prob with radio but I ended up having a bigger prob on the way home it stranded me on side of rd now it had to be towed to shop it kept stalling and sputtering it had full tank of gas and the tranny was fine when I left then it wouldn't go into reverse I have no idea what's wrong with either bc it went in reverse befor I left got there and wouldn't go so I guessing doing a tranny flush and new filter might fix it did sit over a year befor I bought

if i were you i'd start a new thread to get advise for your transmission issue. i don't think "flushing" will do anything except waste your money and then you may end up pulling the pan again to change a soleniod (or something), but i'm no tranny expert...

Nope trans is shot there goes $800

that sucks. how long you had it? do you think the PO knew it was going?

re radio: not that it's a priority, but even if your radio has an power switch issue, it should go off when you turn the key off (don't know about the door thing), but that's why i suspected a possible GEM issue. if you want to fix it on the cheap, i'd just cut the power wire at the radio and splice it in with something else that only has power when the key is ON.

That's what the people done at radio place and I knew they prob be prob I bought it for 400 dollars and it ran well for a week then tranny went out and tranny guy said it was from where it sit so long and also everything else works so if that's it ill be hapoy

Back