• Register Today It's free!

Radio works when it wants to

Birbey

Reaction score
City, State
Ozark, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer edie bauer
98 explorer radio ,cd works sometimes, it cuts off like it doesnt get any 12V (or maybe Ground) days ,or weeks later it start working again a couple days , everything perfectly works when it comes on, and everything goes off when it decides not to work. Any suggestions thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the stock radio? Have you tried another radio?

Thanks for your reply it is stock radio but the second one,because original stock had display problems, if I could find it in the junk I have easily replacable to check out I guess

Thanks for your reply it is stock radio but the second one,because original stock had display problems, if I could find it in the junk I have easily replacable to check out I guess

Would recommend to check with another radio before we/you go digging in the electrical cables.

I agree ,I will do it and post results thanks.

More than likely something internal to the radio. I'd recommend replacing it with something new rather than fooling around with 20 year old JY radios.

Ok then , what is the recommendation to replace this radio with a BT, aux usb input ect.

Up to you what radio you want. Don't really know of any modern radios that will look natural /good in the car (unfortunately). But I wouldn't spend more than a 100$ on a new one, unless you plan on changing speakers etc. Again, up to you. If you want to go all in go ahead. I'm currently running a Blaupunkt radio with aux, USB and Bluetooth. Looks out of place....

Hey this is old work truck for me as long as radio works it's good :)

I have a Pioneer 291BT I got in a speakers and radio bundle in my 2000, it's the best bang for your buck, no CD player but you get AUX, USB and Bluetooth. They do offer a cheaper one, or did last I was down the radio isle, that offered a CD player but no Bluetooth for like $50, you'll also need the bracket kit and the harness, but you'll be below $100.

Your radio may need a good ground. When a ground wire fails, it can work sporadically through the ground of the antenna shield, which is not a good solid ground. Get a 36" wire and connect it directly to the chassis of the radio. Ground the other end to a good ground. I use the cigar lighter's external socket for a quick test. If that resolves your radio's problem, attach it to a good ground with a screw.

That is the cheapest solution so far I need to do this first, thanks a bunch.

Back