radius arm bushing replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radius arm bushing replacement

Reaction score
City, State
newport news, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer 2wd
how do i replace my radius arm bushings on my 1991 ford explorer? the buahing is almost completly gone and i cant get the bolt that holds the radius arm off cuz its seazed in. sebosy please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So hit the nut with heat, put a big wrench on it and pull. Its not rocket appliances.

Do your homework on this one. Use the search function in the stock and modified sections. Also search through the Stickies too...Wood1 in the modified section has a whole thread listing all kinds of repair and mod work for our trucks to get you started.

Some guys couldn't pull the RA's out without serious disassembly and frustration and others didn't have a problem loosening some bolts to allow the front driveline to shift and whacked with a BFH. It all depends on your skills, tools and patience level. I did it while I rebuilt my whole front end, my first time without much difficulties and basic hand tools. I learned how to do it from here and the TRS site.

It's a worth while repair...

i got it changed out without taking everything apart. it took me about an hour or two.

All you have to do is grind off the 4 rivets on the rear bracket. I did it with an angle grinder. Just put it back together with grade 8 bolts. The nuts are kind of tough to get off, but with a little heat (they probably had red thread locker from factory) and a big wrench its easy. I doubt it even took me an hour start to finish when I did mine. All I needed was a big wrench (forgot size), mapp gas (propane would work), angle grinder, and the bolts to put the bracket back on. I had the front jacked up and on stands, and the bracket slid back on without problems. I never even touched the axle. I've heard of people jacking the axle forward, but that is just dumb.

Back