radius arm bushing with a metal collar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radius arm bushing with a metal collar

Raceit

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 2DR 4WD XL
I don't know what crazy nut ball would ever do anything like this, but I have metal collar over my right radius arm bushing.

right-radius-bushing.jpg

I'm sure nobody needs to see a normal one, but here is the left one.

left-radius-bushing.jpg

This is what makes a nasty metal on metal squeaking sound going over the smallest bump. Where the right arm pivots is actually higher then the left side. (which would explain my constant pull to the right) Since it's so high up the big washer actually rubs on the bottom of the frame.

I know every ruber mount in my Explorer needs to be replaced with either some new ruber ones or poly bushings. I have never taken a radius arm off before, so is this something that just the one bolt will undo it, or do I need any special tools?
And I fear that the rubber bushing on the right side rotted away long ago and has been wearing down the top part of the radius arm bracket itself. Will the whole radius arm braket need to be replaced? If that's the case I might-as-well go with some extended radius arms anyway.
One last question. Does removal and reattachment of the radius arm with new bushings require an alignment?
Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Raceit,

Sounds like your bushings need replaced. The big washer your talking about is a heat shield- notice how close the cat is in the pic? The shields were added after the bushings on the right side failed prematurely from heat exposure. The shield and a differnt composition of rubber were installed as a refit-at least in 91, probably became production. I remember taking mine in for the recall work.

If the metal "hat" is hitting the crossmember I would suggest that the bushing needs replaced. This could also be the pull to the right problem.

the metal thingie...

is a heat shield required due to the proxomity to the exhaust.

Ok, I take back what I said about the crazy nut ball. :) I guess that would have been Ford.

That does make a lot more sense about it being a heat sheild. I feel better about that. I just had these horrible thoughts of somebody finding a peice of metal that fit over the rotting bushing instead of replacing it.

So is it a big deal to replace those bushings?

Yes, or no depends on whether the crossmember has been removed before or not. To get it off you need to remove the rivets holding the crossmember on. If it has been done before they will have been replaced with bolts and will be not to bad. If they are still there get out the grinder and the drill and get rid of the rivets- replace them with some grade 8 bolts to reassemble.
Its an easy job if the rivets have been removed, a bit more work if you have to grind and drill.

I would have the align checked afterward. Probably wontr need anything but wont hurt to check- esp if your pulling to the right.

Thanks a bunch for the info. Nice to know it's not as weird as I first thought. Maybe taking off the crossmember will build up my experience to eventually put on a lift by my self. Or at least be able to get in the way, I mean help. :)

Actually its the inside bushings that are a pain, those outer bushings should just come out with that nut on the end,right?

Back