Radius Arm Bushings choice & replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radius Arm Bushings choice & replacement

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
Would appreciate input on radius arm bushing replacement. My 1993 EB 2WD is due. Have had two sets of Ford OEM since new. Now at 105K, same problem of noise is reappearing.

Many owners have replaced theirs with polyurethane bushings, but while durable, have reported a rough ride.
However, I understand Enegry Suspension makes polyurethane bushings that are superior, but cannot locate a distributor..does anyone know of a retail outlet in Central Texas or nationally?

Secondly, Moog makes a heavy duty rubber set of bushings that have a steel reinforcement. A local quality front end shop says they have not had problems with this Moog HD bushing. Have any of you replaced yours with Moog's HD bushing and if so, would appreciate your input.

Thanks

MikeTEC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sure

Wel you'll have to decide for yourself which you like better. Energy suspension bushings are great, and they do "Firm" up the ride...but its not harsh...unless you want that "luxury car" ride..then rubber is the way to go because its softer and more plyable. Being that youre is a 2WD and an Eddie Bauer to boot, I think the urethane would work quite nicely for you. If you do go with the Energy Suspension kit, I advise also purchasing the urethane bushings for the front and rear swaybars..these will replace worn out rubber bushings as well, and improve your handling drastically. I'm getting ready to put all Energy Suspension bushings on my ride.

A good low-cost source for Energy Suspension bushings online (if you dont have a local dealer) is

http://www.suspension.com

The Moog bushings are a good option as well, and come with a complete washer kit and everything to replace the stock stuff..you can get it from

http://www.explorerexpress.com

Either one will make a big diference you should be pleased with!

Thanks, Anime4X4!

Suspension.com looks like a great site and company. I may order from bushings from them.

Explorer Express also carries outstanding Explorer parts. I have their slotted rotors and HD pads. Stopping distance is considerably less, as they say.

Again, thanks for the site and source for Energy Suspension bushings.

MikeTEC

I'm sitting here waiting on the UPS guy to deliver my Moog HD RA bushings and TRW RA brackets as I type. I don't care how hard anyone says they are to replace - I'm doing it on my own next Saturday. Labor rates in Phoenix are outrageuos. The best price I saw was from DiscountAutoParts.com - less than $80 for everything delivered. Beat the board sponsor by about $20 bucks. My local dealer never responded so I have to have parts shipped from New Jersey. I'll let you know what I think about the Moog RA bushings in 2 weeks.

I've got the energy suspentions hyperflex kit on mine and I love it.The ride is alittle stiffer, but it more than makes up for that with the improved handling..I would recommend it to anybody...

MarkB:

I went ahead and had mine replaced with the Moog HD bushings by a local shop and had front end alignment done also.

About 2 hours work, but of course, they do a lot of them on Explorers. Good luck!

Mike TEC

TRW?

Originally posted by MarkB
I'm sitting here waiting on the UPS guy to deliver my Moog HD RA bushings and TRW RA brackets as I type.

TRW Radius Arm Brackets? Eh?

Anime4x4

Yeah, TRW. However, Discountautoparts.com emailed back saying they were out of stock and that they are made by Federal Mogul. Maybe TRW owns Federal. So I really don't know what they are sending me.

Mine did not need radius arm brackets. so I guess I had better count my blessings! Got to the repair before any damage was done to the radius arm brackets.

It does seem to have more of a luxiury car ride with the HD Moog bushings. It does not seem to rock as much side to side now however, as with the Ford OEM bushings, when crossing railroad tracks or rough roads at an angle.

However, if you are more after performance handling, probably the poly bushings would be better, as mentioned in the posts above.

Good luck with your modifcations and repairs. Thanks again.

MikeTEC

Finally got the radius arm bushings and bracket replaced. Took a friend and I about 6 hours. I used the Moog bushings and doubled up the washer on the passenger's side to compensate for the pull to the right. Nice ride so far. The bracket on the driver's side was severly cracked. The bushing on the passenger's side was broken and crumbly. I feel much safer now and the ride is definitely better. And I did not have any rivet's to grind. I don't know if that means these parts have been replaced before or if I just got lucky. It wasn't that hard of a shade-tree mechanic sort of thing to do despite all the warnings, although air tools would have been nice.

MarkB:

Glad to know you got your HD Moog bushings in. As you can see from my post above, I have had mine for three weeks. Mine were not that bad when removed; they were second generation improved bushings from Ford. You might have noticed the new HD Moog rubber bushings you installed had a steel reinforcement sleeve fused into the rubber on the part that takes the punishment. They should last a very long time, plus give a comfortable ride as well. MikeTEC

They gave you a lifetime warranty on the bushings, ....but what about the labour???

Mike TEC

I got some prices from some of the local shops to have my RA bushings replaced with the Moogs. How much did you pay to have yours replaced? Just trying to get a feeling for what I should be paying. The cheapest I have been quoted is in the 225-250 range. Thanks for any info you can provide.

NP

Npearman:

Seems like I paid about $185.00 to have the Moog HD bushings installed in my 93 which included parts, labor and tax. I used an local independent shop that does nothing but front ends. They have been in business for many years. I am pleased with their work. MikeTEC

Back