radius arm bushings question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radius arm bushings question?

j greathouse

Reaction score
I had my explorer in at the ford dealer last week getting new ujoints and the mechanic said my radius arm bushings on the right side are shot. So I got under and looked and sure enough the right side is what I want to know is I see the big round bushing at the rear of the arm is this the only one that I need to replace? you talk about rivits holding them in but mine has a bolt,is because they have been replaced before? Are there bushings at the front of the arm and that is where the rivits are? If so I didnt see them..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The radius arm bushings are 2 pieces, the large one on the back and one that is a little smaller in front. If it is the right side only, there could be a problem with heat. There should be a small shield on the passenger side radius arm to protect it from the catalytic convertor.
Anyhow, I suppose you are referring to the bolt at the end of the arm. The rivets are not there, but rather on the radius arm support (don't know the exact name of that piece). Look at the two brackets where the radius arms bolt up. Now look where they attach to the frame. The brackets should attach with 4 rivets, 2 on each side. There is a way to do it without cutting the rivets, but I don't know of anyone who has tried it. When I did mine, I cut the rivets, and I feel that it was worth it. If I ever have to change them again, it will take < an hour.

Weatherman? When you cut the rivets did you replace them with bolts or how did you do it? I have a 91 XL with bad bushings that need replaced. I was told it was a design flaw on Ford's part and is very common. WOuld like to find an easy and inexpensive way to replace them myself.

I just replaced the bushings on my '93 XLT yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I cut the rivets off with a "sawzall" and it took about a minute and a half per rivet to cut the head off and another 5 minutes to pound it out with a punch. I got the bushing kit from Autozone and they were only $3.99 per side. I did run into a few problems though, someone had mangled the fuel filter pretty good and it took me a day and a half to get it off. I looked like they tried to get it off without the tool and bent and smashed the tube and the end of the filter. It was also rammed in the fitting about 3/4 of an inch too far and I ended up pulling all the o-rings and everything else in the fitting out to get it out. I can't believe the diffrence the bushings made though. I had a nasty brake pull and it liked to wander around the road at freeway speed. It all went away with the new bushings. The front end is much tighter. I would have done this sooner had I known the diffrence it would make.

I had the to replace my r/a bushings awhile back. The job didn't take long as long as you have access to a lift. I am including a web page that I used to guide me thru this project. Lots of useful info on other repairs as well.
Dead Link Removed

by the way.....my driver's side bushing was fine but the passenger side bushing looked like it had been attacked by a small pack of wild jackals.

Anyone for some rubberized shredded wheat??

Back