Radius arm SAS and Caster Angles

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
This is a question for those of you who have done a Radius arm SAS (or first gen explorers with the TTB). I was wondering if anyone has had any issues due to changing caster angles when the suspension travels. Like does your rigs steering get a little squirrelly at highway speeds or in washboard conditions. I was just randomly thinking about how the caster would change and wondering if it really is a noticeable change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not too bad of an issue with extended radius arms. a 4 link definitely helps the change in caster, but look at any i-beam desert truck or even my truck on beams, I have ran it 70 mph in the dirt and been in control. That is part of the reason I extended my radius arms on my solid axle truck as well.

I would think the worst would be steering on obstacles when your suspension is at full droop rock crawling.

Thanks for the response, I'm just trying to decide if it is worth it to run a 4-link, since extended radius arms are pretty easy to swap into an explorer.

Hmmm, well it's kinda a toss up, an a-armed explorer is "new" technology, a TTB is older technology and an early bronco F150 style solid axle is 30 year old technology but I don't think it's all that bad. FYI my F250 super duty is lifted and doesn't run a 4 link, it's essentially more like the older style F150 mounts if anything in comparison to the way the suspension cycles.

On highways and wash boarded dirt roads you only see a few inches of wheel travel it will not be noticed. If you are running a solid axle odds are you wont be hitting the whoops at 80 mph so the caster issue wont be much of an issue. Set it good for the street and call it close enough for the dirt. We aren't building million dollar trophy trucks.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't want to do the easy thing and wish I had done something "better" later.

Back