Radius Arm/Traction beam -hardware and bracket help request | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radius Arm/Traction beam -hardware and bracket help request

RustySJohnson

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
I found Extended radius arms on Craigslist I just purchased and I don't expect the original hardware to come out easily - if at all. I do not want to start this project and be held up because I need hardware, it's my winter-beater and I don't want it down. It's the two bolts/studs for attaching the traction beams to the radius arms.

I found these on Ford's parts website, however it's salty. RockAuto, Autozone, etc... do not have these bolts. If anyone could advise alternate higher quality hardware size or suggest a vendor, I would appreciate it.

One last request, These did not come with the radius arm frame mounts, Anyone offer a suggestion on those?

ExplorerAssembly.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For replacing those big are bolts.. I never found an alternative source. I went to a junk yard and grabbed 'em there when I pulled the thread off of one.

The top bolt is a double sided bolt and I doubt anyone will have that. The lower one is just a really big course thread so you might be able to mail order it from mcmaster carr etc.

I'm assuming your old ones are in bad shape which is why your looking for new ones?

I'm going to assume your extended arms have the stock post type mount and not a Heim/ballistic/johnny joint.

You may be able to just use a set off an f-150. They mount at the frame and don't go across like the explorer ones.

~Mark

I can pull these off my parts explorer if you really need them. The axle is already dropped and the bolts are just sitting there.

could you use threaded rod with a nut in the middle for the double sided bolt? Mc Master has threaded rod that's grade 5 equivalent.

Arizona-Where people in Indiana wish they were in the winter

I'll take you up on that offer - PM Sent. Love this site.

When you go to remove those bolts, use plenty of heat on them (a propane torch at full blast can work). Ford uses Loctite on those and even with no rust at all they're a bear to remove without heat if they've never been out yet.

could you use threaded rod with a nut in the middle for the double sided bolt? Mc Master has threaded rod that's grade 5 equivalent.

The bolts are Grade 8. You'd want to replace it with Grade 8 stuff.

Radius arm frame mount type

I'm assuming your old ones are in bad shape which is why your looking for new ones?

I'm going to assume your extended arms have the stock post type mount and not a Heim/ballistic/johnny joint.

You may be able to just use a set off an f-150. They mount at the frame and don't go across like the explorer ones.

I'm not sure what kind of shape my bolts/studs are going to be in when I remove the radius arm. I'm in Indy, part of the rust belt. I'm taking the safe side of caution to make sure I have extra hardware when I start this project. I'm scared I'll tear them up whilst removing and need a backup plan just in case.

You're assumption is correct, they are post mount. I'll pick up the radius arm frame mounts at the local boneyard. I've looked at those trucks a million times and never noticed they are same post mount and on the frame, duh.

Heat - That's always my preference, and the best method IMO. If there is thread-locker, burning it off is the only way to remove it. If you have the time, penetrating oil after it's cooled down. The oil wont penetrate unless the threadlocking adhesive is removed. I have to add this advice too, clean the threads you can see or the bolts will fight you the entire way out.

Thanks everyone for helping. You're input is appreciated, regardless of the route I take. Good bunch of chums on here.....

Muscular arms

Here's what I picked up. I gave $100 for 'em. They're fairly stout, much more rigid and heavier gauge steel than the stock. I've been waiting to add any skid plates or drop bracket reinforcement till I located and installed these.

TTB lift parts are becoming more and more common across Craigslist, There are 3 sets in Indiana alone. My theory is that those whom still have this generation are serious offroaders and are converting to SAS, that's when Johnny-come-lately's like me snatch this stuff up. Gears are not as common, but I hit up a couple people with lifts listed, and inquired if they had Dana 35 gears and they did. Problem with the gears though is they generally keep the rear diffs and will only have the front available.

I found a guy with complete arm/diff 4.56, and aussie lockers, is $400 fair?

0122121053.jpg

Got 'em

Pulled these brackets from a '97 F-150. Thanks for the help.

I also scored a spare tire mount from the rear hatch of an old Bronco II, A cam position sensor (dreaded 214 engine code), a backup computer, a threaded nipple from the fuel rail so I can plumb a fuel pressure gauge, and 6 spare injectors I'm going to rebuild and flowtest for backups.

A holy cow, whoever did this to this Bronco II should be shot on site.

0122121809.jpg

0122121813.jpg

0122121810.jpg

0122121543.jpg

Here's what I picked up. I gave $100 for 'em. They're fairly stout, much more rigid and heavier gauge steel than the stock.

What did you get your radius arms off of? They look longer than stock, are they?

Good question, I just measured to find out.

What did you get your radius arms off of? They look longer than stock, are they?

They are 14" longer than stock. They have to be aftermarket, I don't know what brand.

Those look like Superlift radius arms. They are prone to cracking where they attach to the beams, keep an eye on them.

$400 with the beams, 4.56 diff and aussie locker seems reasonable to me. You definately couldnt buy the parts individually for that and have the gears done.

Careful with the BII tire carrier. The Bronco body was built alot beefier where it mounted than the Explorer body is. You will need to do some internal reinforcing to make it work. A guy here in town I talked to once bolted one on and has been fighting cracks ever since.

Radius arm frame bracket reinforcement?

Those look like Superlift radius arms. They are prone to cracking where they attach to the beams, keep an eye on them.

Careful with the BII tire carrier. The Bronco body was built alot beefier where it mounted than the Explorer body is. You will need to do some internal reinforcing to make it work. A guy here in town I talked to once bolted one on and has been fighting cracks ever since.

Any suggestions for augmenting the arms before bolting them up?

I'm heading back to the boneyard to cut the rear quarter out with the reinforcement under the body. I ran out of juice in my sawzall I'll weld it into mine. I can't imagine it was built to hold a 35" offroad tire.

I dont have any personal experience with them, I made my own arms. You migh try searching Superlift arms crack or something like that to see what others have done to fix/prevent it.

I think tbars4 had his crack a couple times. .But I "think" he got them reinforced..

~Mark

Found Tbars4 Radius arm thread

He had what appears to be an older version with a single plate of steel. Mine are already beefed up in a key location and doubled up. Looks like I'm OK - as is.

I can't wait to add these and show off my flex with my saggy *****.

Here's the Link
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234700&page=2

It still would not hurt to box those in. It would add more strength than weight.

Ya know, for a guys that says he's building a street queen, you sure are making a nice rig. I think soon you will wanna ditch those shiny shoes and get some mountain boots. :)
Keep your eyes out for more of those arms would you?

It still would not hurt to box those in. It would add more strength than weight.

Ya know, for a guys that says he's building a street queen, you sure are making a nice rig. I think soon you will wanna ditch those shiny shoes and get some mountain boots. :)
Keep your eyes out for more of those arms would you?

The gentleman I'm hagglin' over the 4.56/Aussie gearbox with is trying to push his extened radius arms off on me, but I wasn't interested cause I had these. I'll see if I can get them too, I'm not trying to make any money, I just love to sell lift parts. I don't know what they are, but he's supposed to call today on his break. I'll ask and request some pics and grab them for you. If you don't want them, I'm sure they'll be easy to offload.

Rims are soon. Craigslist is saturated with them, I really just want wheels, beadlockers preferably. Problem is, I don't want anything less than 20" to keep up it's street performance. That'll make them a little harder to find.

Tires, I get free. Same goes for alignments. If I told you how I'd have to kill you.

As for building a nice rig, I'll take that as a compliment. My truck means a lot to me, I take care of it. I can't leave anything alone, I get my hands on anything and I start tinkering with it. I'll do it as along as it's not too expensive. Thing is, all of a sudden, used parts for these are abundant, if someone were to want to build a capable, inexpensive, and reliable trail rig right now, today, I'd say build an Explorer. You'll have to work a little harder than the Jeep guys for it, but you'll have 4 times the fun at 1/2 the price.. Tons of info for the first gen is available. And, It's not that I don't want to wheel it, I just live in an urban jungle. Rock crawling is running over a parking curb. I'll do some medium and light duty trails soon enough. My goal is for 2013 next year to do the Easter Moab trip. I'm saving and prepping now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back