Radius of the key fob is what, 2 feet? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radius of the key fob is what, 2 feet?

brianexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Explorer Limited 4WD
Hi, all. New '13 Limited owner and love the vehicle. A few quirks that I'm trying to work out, such as the keyless entry system.

If I get out of the vehicle for any reason whatsoever (e.g., drop off a DVD at a RedBox, open up the rear doors or open up the lift gate to throw something in the back, etc.), the car honks its horn twice.

Now, I understand this is so you don't walk off while the car is running, but this seems impractical. This is when I'm in the backseat or rear of the car, for example. Is there a way to shut that off so I can have a bit more flexibility?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, all. New '13 Limited owner and love the vehicle. A few quirks that I'm trying to work out, such as the keyless entry system.

If I get out of the vehicle for any reason whatsoever (e.g., drop off a DVD at a RedBox, open up the rear doors or open up the lift gate to throw something in the back, etc.), the car honks its horn twice.

Now, I understand this is so you don't walk off while the car is running, but this seems impractical. This is when I'm in the backseat or rear of the car, for example. Is there a way to shut that off so I can have a bit more flexibility?

you can leave the key in the car? :) I don't find it impractical, but we obviously all have our own experiences. I do wish it recognized when there were passengers still in the car, I will run in to the gas station to grab a water or soda and it will honk while my wife is still in the car :)

That must be a 2013 thing. Mine doesn't make any sounds at all, just shows 'Key Not Detected'. My previous Highlander would sound an electronic beep twice.
I believe the detection range is about 3 feet. If there is no way to disbale the warning the only option I see is to leave your key or another key within range when you get out, or turn the Ex off.

Peter

Thanks for the responses. Understood that I can leave a key in the car, but that's pretty inconvenient, especially when I'm just going in the backseat to get something or opening the lift gate. I mean, I'm not actually going anywhere, so I would think the key should still detect it.

Oh well, something I'll have to live with! Not the end of the world. :)

Back