• Register Today It's free!

Ram Air question....

BigDave

Reaction score
City, State
River Forest, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
I don't know if this has been answered before, but I didn't read every thread relating to ram air either. Also, if it is in the wrong forum I'd appreciate a mod moving it to the right one... (end the admin "stuff")

With Ram Air how do you keep water from getting into the engine say when it rains or you go through a puddle? I would think that more water would get through than with a stock airbox/cone filter setup under the hood. I have never owned a car with Ram Air so if some has or had a car with real ram air could answer this I would really appreciate it.

I want to get all of the information that I can before I start gathering the stuff I need to do this.

Thanks in advance...

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, with most ram airs systems (at least stock Ford ones) you have vacuum-operated flappers, so they only open up when you're on the gas... When you're on the gas, you just, well, live with it.

On a more opinionated note; Ram Air doesn't do very much, I wouldn't spend too much $$$ on it. It would be money better spent in lots of ways.

i dont really know how stock ram air setups really work to keep out water, but water is a big issue for custom setups. a lot of guys just run a dryer hose or something to the filter for a cold air setup (which isnt terribly expensive - a trip to home depot with $15-$20 should be good.) you dont actually get a ram air effect until high speeds. just be aware of where you run the hose to watch for water. the only reason i never ran it is because im paranoid about the water thing.

a friend of mine who has a custom setup like that on his lowered probe had water issues at one point - luckily his engine lived to see another day, but thats not always the case.

Originally posted by tbomb
i dont really know how stock ram air setups really work to keep out water, but water is a big issue for custom setups. a lot of guys just run a dryer hose or something to the filter for a cold air setup (which isnt terribly expensive - a trip to home depot with $15-$20 should be good.) you dont actually get a ram air effect until high speeds. just be aware of where you run the hose to watch for water. the only reason i never ran it is because im paranoid about the water thing.

I know guys that have done the homemade deal, I seriously doubt any difference would be noticed, even at high speeds, with a home-rigged setup.

The airflow dynamics over the surface of a car are very complicated and must be understood do design and execute an effective ram air setup. Ever see the shakers on old GM's, how they face backwards? Has to do with the airflow characteristics across the hood and up against the the windshield. I've heard tell that the Ford shakers from the late sixty's were mostly ineffective due to the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) of the cars they were on. Without a functional knowledge of basic fluid dynamics, a ram-air setup is mainly just for show.

yah, well i was just talking about a cold air setup (it usually comes up when talking about ram air.) as far as a real functioning engineered ram air design, i mean, thats one hell of an undertaking - not nearly worth all the time and effort, IMO. the thing with the dryer tubing is just what people do to try to get colder air to the filter rather than the hot air in the engine bay. whatever, though, i think anything custom like that is pretty cool.

OK here we go.

With a ram air setup you are talking about an actual scoop mounted somewhere on the front of the vehicle.
The scoop or funnel feeds a tube that leads directly to the airbox or cold air chamber (like a FIPK). At speed this setup will actually creat a slight amount of boost of forced induction. Of course you can also use a carefully placed hood scoop to grab your air but again water will flow right in unless baffles or expansion chambers are used.

On Mustangs often the scoop is mounted below the front faring which is only a couple of inches from the ground. So yes if you hit a deep enough puddle your gonna get your filter wet, worst case actually get some water past the element and into the intake.

With a Cold Air feed system it's basically the same idea:
Some sort of feed tube is used to direct air from behind the grill to the airbox or cold air chamber. The difference with this setup is there may not be room for a funnel or scoop to grab as much air. What I have on my truck is simple. remove the stock (crappy, leaking, and restrictive) cold air feed tube. This will also have a vacuum actuated valve in it that controls flow to the hot air return hose (connected to pass side exhaust manifold) that can be removed. I cut the opening in my radiator support (about 1.5"x3" stock) open to 4" diameter. This is located just below the battery tray on early model Explorer's and on all BII's. I then used a piece of 4" dryer hose (thick black rubber kind) and a 4" PVC to floor toilet flange behind the new hole. This routes below the battery tray and over to where the airbox used to be. It actually fed my airbox at one time, which also had to be modified to accept the 4" tube.

I now have a 7" K&N cone mounted to the end of my MAS where the airbox used to be. This feed tube simply fills the cold air chamber I built (Similar to FIPK). If any water does happen to splash up behind the grill, up the tube and into the cold air chamber, it will simply drain out.
There is not enough pressure or suction to force the water through the K&N cone.
This is not a ram air setup because it never generates enough pressure to create boost. It is just a great way to ensure that your intake is not sucking up hot underhood air, thus increasing power, or actually keeping it from being decreased.

Now the third option is called Cowl induction.
this usually requires a rearward facing scoop or buldged hood. There is a low pressure zone of swirling air right at the base of your windshield. This is whay the factory put holes here to suck up fresh air for your heater system. This air is always cool and always flowing. Making it ideal for your intake. Re-location of extensive plumbing is required on our engines to get that cool air to the intake filter.

Regardless of which setup you use anytime you drop the temp of the incoming air you gain HP. So even after spending time and $$$$ on your cold air fed intake there are other things to consider. Dropping the overall underhood tempature is a must when you are looking to squeeze every single possible ponie from your powerplant. Heat insulation can be used on some stuff, header wrap can help, but a good cooling system and is the most important. With a 180 thermostat, a 4 core aluminum radiator (4.0L HO cooling package) , the supercooling mechanical fan and clutch (11 blades I think) and synthetic oil my 93 OHV 4.0L runs right at 190 no matter what. She will get up to 198 when towing but drops right back down to 185-190. Of course keep in mind my BII weighs 4200#, not 5500 like a base Explorer.

My JBA headers increase the underhood temps a little bit so I made sure to install heat hose guards and heat insulation wherever possible (fuel lines, heater box, etc..)

My intake setup cost me about $50.
$35 for a K&N 7" cone
I adapted it to the MAS meter with a gasket and bolts
$15 for misc hardware and feed tube.

This is no 20 HP adder like say exhaust could be, but for $50 its a real nice way to finish off the rest of the intake and exhaust mods.

410fortune, that's a great article and the pics and instructions on your website are great. Thanks, been looking for this kinda info for a while.

5500lbs for a base model explorer? i just weighed mine the other day (on industrial scales guaranteed accuracy to +/-0.1lb, and it hit 4120 with a full tank of gas. i have a 4 door 2WD V8. i realize a 4WD/AWD is gonna be heavier, but damn...

oh cool, I figured they were about 5500# since my 88 BII is #3800

3800 really? i thought the bronc II's were lighter than that. ive got a 75 bronco on 35's, 51/2 lift, 351, winch, heavy bumpers, full cage, etc. and it weighed 3845. and thats ALOT heavier than they were stock.

The curb weight listed on the door is 3500, I added 300 for my mods, bumpers, axles, engine, etc..

The actual weight may be more or less who knows

Thanks everyone. Now that I know I need some sort of baffle system, anyone know how to make one or how they work?

Dave

Back