RAM AIR !! RAM AIR!! RAM AIR!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RAM AIR !! RAM AIR!! RAM AIR!!

j greathouse

Reaction score
HAS ANYONE HERE FABRICATED THERE OWN RAM AIR SET UP YET?? I TALKED TO SOMEONE ABOUT DESIGNING MY OWN RAM AIR SET UP AND THEY SAID IT WAS A BAD IDEA BECAUSE THE 4.0 PUSHROD ENGINE WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR RAM AIR.. IS THIS TRUE?? I HAVE SOME GOOD IDEAS FOR A RAM AIR SET UP BUT HAVE NOT DONE IT BECAUSE OF THIS ME AND MY FATHER INSTALLED THE K&N FILTER CHARGER BUT WAS UNPLEASED BECAUSE IT BREATHED ALOT OF HOT HOT HOT AIR I BELIEVE EVEN WITH THE HIGHLY RESTRITIVE AIR BOX IF WE COULD RAM THE AIR INTO IT WITH A K&N DROP IN AIR FILTER I WILL YIELD MORE HORSES BECAUSE OF IT BEING COLDER.. WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At the risk of sounding offensive, what moron said the 4.0(or any engine) is designed for ram-air. It just makes it easier for the engine to breathe. Unreal! I'm trying to figure a system out now to aid the cool air delivery to my supercharger.

he was a guy wwo worked at a retail auto store I could'nt figure out why this was bad either. I dont have a super charger (but would'nt mind it) I'd just like to design a ram air set up that worked

I've found a few places that offer aftermarket hoods for Explorers but they're not cheap and I'd like to keep the stock look. I kinda doubt that an Explorer with a hoodscoop would look very good.

Scott,

Can you tell me who offers after market hoods for Explorers? I have been looking for some time with no success.

Thanks

------------------
'97 Sport 4X4

Sure can, go to (dead link)This is one of the two sites I have found, I can't remember the other right now. I do know that out of the two this one was the best. The other offered a "race style" that required special springs and used hood pins. A real latch was optional and more $$$.

Sorry about that, it's (dead link)

I have fabricated a ram air setup out of dryer hose that went from my front bumper to my air box. It seemed to help some on cool nights when I was moving fast enough. I also made it removable so I could tuck it under my fenderwell when needed. It didnt cost too much either.Any questions email me at genlee97@aol

According to the data I've seen, you can get almost seven times the atmospheric air pressure change from a properly sized set of headers. The air launching out of the combustion chamber pulls much more vacuum than any ram air setup could generate which, in turn, sucks in more air.
If you don't have headers, they might be a good place to start.
Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Have A Good One!
Chris Scott
chris@smartyparts.com
www.smartyparts.com

After installing that k&n conical on my '91 I started thinking about the ram air too. I know it's sucking up some hot air. I don't think a cowl induction would look too bad on an explorer, at least not a short one, and it would give some great airflow under the hood. As far as ram air goes, I agree that a scoop would look bad, but if you could find a ram air setup similar to the 71-73 mustangs, that might look nice.

Headers with good coatings and/or header wrap would certainly lower your underhood temps.

If you elect to go with that idea, try the following :

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

http://www.jethotcoatings.com/

Header wrap is available lots of places.

Perhaps the "moron" (as he is now referred to) who said that the 4.0L pushrod engine is not designed for ram air was "merely" forgetting about the mass air flow sensor. If you are going to force any air into the engine, make sure the mass air flow sensor can measure it. The EEC-IV then computes the proper air-fuel mixture. I have fabricated a fiberglass air scoop that i have mounted underneath the front bumper, then ran the plumbing up into the airbox directly, but i also incorporated the hot-air intake valve so it still will open up and take hot air off of my headers when it is needed in cold weather.
Right now, i am redesigning my scoop now that i have my Fluid Dynamics class this term, i will be working out a mathematically correct scoop, not just one that looks like a scoop. When i finish that up i'll post it to the list or something. Good luck with your endeavors, messing around with your truck like this is how you learn, keep it up.

Anthony
Senior - Mechanical Engineering
Michigan Technological University

Back