• Register Today It's free!

Ramsey Winch Bumper

newguy06

Reaction score
City, State
saint joseph missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer xlt
i have just bought a 1991 ford explorer and with it the guy gace me this brush gaurd thing made by ramsey and it is super strong with a winch mount plate that is HEAVY, does anyone have this on they're explorers?

if so where did you buy it because i am trying to see how much they cost and i cant find them online

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Havent seen a Ramsey offered for the 1st gen..got pics?

I didn't know Ramsey made winch mounts for 1st gen. Warn did something but Ramsey?

I have taken pics

here are the pics of it, the instructions say

trail gaurd kit for ford explorer and mazda navajo?

i have not installed it yet because i dont know if im going to sell it or install it,
and i copied the diagram on one of the pages of the instructions that gives you
the just of it

if you want more pics email me at emtguy2006@yahoo.com

i cant seem to attach a pic so try this link

http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=winchmountinstructionsci5.jpg

i see you are trying to sell it

it dosent look that strong to me, I dont know if Id mount a winch to that. Looks like my brushgaurd

Everything was made for a 1st gen explorer at 1 time. Not any more though.
Since that is no longer made, & demand is high on this board for 1st gen stuff like what you have, you could get a good amount of $$ for it.

Got Assembled Pictures Guys

yeah i actually did post it for sale so thanks for the advice, as far as the not being strong thing, this thing is super heavy and mounts to the frame and the winch plate itself mounts against the bumper, i put it loosely together so you could see what it looks like.

Well it is made by Ramsey

if they made it dont you think it is meant to have a winch on it?

i dont think you can judge it without seeing or lifting this, if you want to stop by and take a look but this is a heavy duty bumper

also it is mounted to the frame so that makes it tough and it is made by ramsey so i would say it would hold it just fine

yes ill be right down to missouri to check it out.

They make ******, but that dosent mean its safe.

It could hold a winch but the biggest issue with it in my opinion is how it mounts to the frame..

i get your point

listen man you don't have to come on here and bad mouth my stuff i dont deserve that and neither does anyone else, i come to the forums to get ideas and solutions to problems just like alot of other people do and you are being rude maybe you should re read the rules about putting down other peoples things

Not putting your stuff down (I have read the rules) but I agree that the frame mounts look a little suspect. I could see the whole thing getting warped pretty easily if it was really pulled on.

Maybe its meant to hold an ATV or boat winch?

allright now that is constructive criticism and that is what forums are all about thank you guys

now i look at the directions and it is showing pro 8000 and pro 9000 winches being installed, they are for trucks but maybe not big enough for rock crawling but then again i never said anything about putting it down a rock ledge lol,

I was only asking people what they thought about it and i do think it is for more than looks just because of the sheer weight of it but i see your point about the frame and i think someone who knows they're way around a shop could get around that

but again thank you for your thoughts i appreciate it

You asked what people thought and now your offended caus I dont trust it? Thats cool, if you want to run it fine im just giving my opinion which you asked for. Not everyone will alwys agree with you, or me, but dont be offended so easily.

You want some "constructive criticism"? Ok, well it looks like on the top there are 4 1/2" bolts holding it to the top of the frame horns, which when you figure a 9-10k winch with a snatch block, that isnt alot. And im only saying 4 because the bottom mount wont really be taking any force from the pull, its going straight back to the frame and when those give it all snaps to the bottom and will prolly shear those too.

If you want to make it work, and safe IMO drill the holes out to 9/16 or 5/8.

EDIT: AFter another look, I see the bolts that attatch the upper frame brackets to the winch cradle.... is that only 1 bolt?????? And it looks friggin small too.... At this point, im just worried about the saftey of people around this thing if it fails. Some more pics of the mounting points and sizes of bolts would be helpful.

yeah i see your point on the bolt thing, i am actually at work right now but ill get some more pics of the bolts tonight, i have not really looked at the hardware that came to mount it to the frame but they are decent sized

It looks to be pretty identical to the Warn Transfomer winch mount/grillguard I used to have on my Ranger. I never had a winch on it, but if both Warn and Ramsey put it out, it must be at least passably usable. Probably geared towards hunters etc, vs rockcrawlers.

I think the assembled pic does not have the brackets on that attach to the frame. If it's like the Warn, the two large L-shaped brackets in the unassembled pic go behind the bumper and meet connect the frame to the two tabs right behind the winchplate.

It should work just fine. I had a similar design one on my Bronco II & didn't have a problem. You could always run a weld around the frame brackets, & the bolts. The fact it mounts at 4 pints on the frame tells me it's plenty strong. I don't see how anyone can say it's not without seeing it, or knowing about it being used.
If you want to sell it put it on Ebay. You'll get a much bigger response from there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks guys and yes i was thinking the same thing about the welds, the assembled pics do not have the bumper brackets on it so your right there i just didnt put them on it, maybe i should have but i thought people knew how they mounted but anyway thank you for your advice and i already placed it on ebay

Back