Ran my explorer through water | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jacob Jude

Reaction score
City, State
Paragon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003, Explorer
Okay so I'm a dumb 21 year old who thought he could make it through a flooded road. Learned a lesson real quick. My vehicle starts and I changed my oil, oil filter, air filter, and coolent. But the engine sounds awful (obviously) there seem to be water leaking from my exhaust, and there is a higher pitched slight grinding sound coming from the front left of the engine area. I don't know what I need to do to fix it. I just hope someone can give me some form of advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How high up on the vehicle was the water?
Did the vehicle make it through, or die in the water?

Which engine do you have?

the tag says 4.0 engine^

You’ve most likely ruined your engine.

How many miles/hours did you run the engine after you had the truck in high water? How high did the water go?

I'd do multiple oil changes with conventional oil (cheap stuff), and filters (not fancy ones).

No harm going to AutoZone and seeing whether they have a product you can add to the oil that says it absorbs water. I've used such products for gasoline (its basically alchohol), which you should probably use as well for the gas tank.

Is the grinding sound from the upper engine or the lower engine? If lower, could be crankshaft bearing failure, which would require an engine rebuild.

Bear in mind that there is a breather hose on the transmission that routes up to the top of the bell housing. If the water went deeper than that, you're looking at a transmission flush, too. Also, you probably would be best off draining and refilling the transfer case (if 4wd) and differential(s), too, if the truck is worth saving. Good luck.

Back