Rancho 2"/2.5" Suspension Lift

BTRs X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maysville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL 4x4
I am new to this site and it as been VERY helpful. I have just purchased a '92 4x4 Explorer XL from my dad's workplace. It has been maintained perfectly by the ford-loving mechanic at the power plant. I am wanting to start turning this X into a trail worthy vehicle, while still using it as a daily driver. I have tinted the windows and started designing a custom stereo system. I plan on adding KC Hilite 26 driving lights and a cold air induction. My next step is replacing the ugly factory rims, tires, and suspension. I want more ground clearance and more aggressive tires. I have been looking at going with the Rancho 2"/2.5" suspension lift and a set of 31x10.50 or 32x11.50 tires. I am planning on using American Racing Nitro wheels (15x8). I am open to any ideas on this setup. I won't start buying these pieces until Spring, so I am trying to do my research now. Will a 2"/2.5" suspenision lift be noticeable and effective off-road or should I go with a 3" or 4"? What are the biggest tires I can fit on my X with these kits? From other explorers experience, what brands and kits do you recommend? THANKS!!! I NEED ALL THE INFORMATION I CAN GET!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the Rancho 2.5" on my old '91 (before retiring it) and it was extremely sturdy. I ran 32" x 11.5" x 15" on AR-63 15x8 but I had to do some trimming to the radius arms' flanges and the inner wheel well as well as some body panels to make it work without any rubbing. If you want to run 31" you will not have any problems, although, 32" fills the wheel well much nicer and it provides a much more aggressive stance.

I had a rear No-Slip locker so I was able to go places that normal 4x4 with Open or LS can't go. Most times, my nerves give out before I reach the truck's limits. If you're interested in rock climbing, you'd need more than 2.5", something in the range of +6" and lockers (front and rear). A 2.5" suspension lift with a rear locker and 32" will get you through most trails and 4wheeling conditions.

Good Luck.

BTW - Welcome to the best Explorer site!!!

Welcome to the site. You will find an unlimited amount of information here. With a 2.5" lift, you can only fit 31" tires, which you can use on your factory rims. The amount of lift that you want is up to how trail worthy you want your Explorer to be. I have a 2.5" lift because I have to drive a lot and I didn't want to have a really high COG. But I can always add about an inch and put on 32's. A 2.5" lift is definatley noticeable and it made my stock trail worthy vehicle very capable. But if I was to want a higher lift I would get a 4" Skyjacker Stage II and 32's. It is a very mice lift and would be an excellent performer.

What you want to do is entirely up to you and you financial situation. I would say a 2.5" is a nnice lift but a 4" is much more capable. Let us know how we can help.

I've got the 2.5" Rancho lift on my ranger and it's great. No problems at all with alignments. I run 32x11.50's with slight rubbing on the rad. arms at full lock. Very strong and well engineered system.

Yeah a Ranger sits a little higher than an Explorer. I know that there is no way I could fit 32's with my lift. If I was to do a spacer lift then I might be able to fit them. So it just depends on the vehicle.

Back