Rancho 9000' shocks, Rancho RSX's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rancho 9000' shocks, Rancho RSX's

mflores

Reaction score
If anyone is planning upgrading their shocks to either Rancho's 9000 or RSX"s, next month will be the best time to do it. Rancho will be running their "buy 3 rancho's 9000 or RSX's and get the fourth free" This offer will run from April 1 to the end of May 2000. I really recommend the 9000's they work great!!!!!!!

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
H/T 8.5x15 Centerline wheels
31x10.5 BRIDGESTONES A/T DUELERS
K&N filter
OUTLAND front & rear guards
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
SPLITFIRE ignition wires & BOSCH PLATINUM +4 plugs
,...& more to come

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats the average price for the 9000's? dont they have a in cab feature?

In the performance products catalog they run $63.85. Thats what they usually run.The in cab feature is sold seperate for 137.00 it's called the rs9700 dual-action remote control system. www.performanceproducts.com

------------------
91 xlt 4x4 B.F.31-10.50s sony cdx-860 sony cdx-715 changer modified jbl sub box w/8" kicker solobaric

Hi, I got a few questions.

#1, Do you know if this sale will be at all places where Rancho's are sold, such as SEARS?

#2, What is the Major differences from the Rancho 9000's and Rancho RSX's??.

Thanks

[Edited by CBoug76 on 10-12-2000 at 06:21 AM]

Chris-I'm not sure about the sale thing, but I can tell you the difference between the RS-9000 and the RSX. RS-9000 has a 5 stage adjustment system. This means you can tune the shock for your ride stiffness desires. It also comes with an in cab option. This is so you won't have to crawl under your Explorer when you need to change the settings. The RSX is a self adjusting shock which is said to be much like the Edelbrock ISA shock. In my opinon, I would go with the RS-9000s. And if you can find a place that will sell you four for the price of three, it'll make the deal even sweeter.

I received my 4X4 POWER, May 2000 issue, last saturday. On page 3, RANCHO is running the ad for the RS 9000's offer. I'm sure the advertising will also be in the upcoming issues of FOUR WHEELER, OFF-ROAD, 4WHEEL/OFFROAD,ect,ect...So if you wait a couple of weeks, you'll save at least $60.00 with this offer

I was told by a shop that the extra expense of the 9000's isn't worth it due to the fact that there is very little noticable (their experience) change between the 5 settings. The shock may be very good, but why pay for the illussion of a shock that can be adjusted from soft to firm. Chances are that the shock will be "Firm" or a little "Firmer".
I run the Monroe "Sensatrack" (double infront-single in the rear) to control 35' Mickey Thompsons. Affordable, life time warranty, performs well.

rocky,

Don't believe everything you hear. You evidently havn't experienced the 9000's first hand.

There is a BIG difference between the softest setting, 1, and the firmest setting, 5. I run mine on 3 most of the time and get good control with a comfortable ride.

With Rancho's offer of: Buy three, get the fourth free, there's no reason not to get them.

Look through all the 4x4 magazines and notice what shocks are used more often than any others on the featured trucks -- Rancho RS9000's. It's not mere coincidence. It's no secret either. The 9000's are a great shock!

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift
"Downhill is just uphill in the opposite direction"

I have to say that the RS9000 have been the best I've found. I'm on my third explorer and have run many different shocks in the past. There is a noticeable difference from 1 to 5. On 5 it's like your riding in a 1 ton pickup. I put the RS9700 in since I have a 20ft racecar trailer I tow and it makes it nice and easy for switching. Can't go wrong with them.

------------------
99 XLT 4x4 4.0 SOHC
Rancho RS9000/RS9700
K&N Custom Intake
Custom Flowmaster
Dual Exhaust
Torsion/Add a Leaf lift
Custom Painter Bumpers
and Running Boards
Bushwacker Fender Flares
31x10.50

I stand corrected. It's good to search these things out. For instance, I was looking into installing an electric fan (Flexalite)but now I'm seeing threads out there that say that the fan doesn't provide enough cooling in the Explorer. Seaching shaves time and lots of $$$$

Just as a sort of off subject question, how do the shocks mentioned compare to the Edelbrock shocks?

------------------
Rob Slade
'95 XLT 4x4
30x9.5 All Terrain KO's
K&N Air Filter System
Manik: Grill Guard
Taillight Guards
Step-Up Bars
Surco Safari Rack
2 Hella Black Magic's
4 Hella 500's
2 Punch DVC 10's
More to come...

S.Matsushige,

I think you did a good job of explaining. You pointed out one of the differences between the 9000's and Edelbrocks, the Edelbrocks use gas pressurization and the 9000's do not.

The 9000's only job is to dampen suspension travel. The Edelbrocks are addressing body roll also, which is the job of the anti-sway bars. As usual, this is a matter of personal preference. Both are good products, so the consumer can pick which one best suits their needs.

Needless to say, just about anything is better than the stock shocks that come with the vehicle. I replaced those the day after I bought my vehicle.

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift
"Downhill is just uphill in the opposite direction"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockylaurence:
I run the Monroe "Sensatrack" (double infront-single in the rear) to control 35' Mickey Thompsons. Affordable, life time warranty, performs well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, is there any difference b/t the Monroe Sensatrack, and the Gabriel VST? One better than the other? Anyone heard of the Sensatrack Load Adjust shock? Is that like the RS9000's ability to be adjusted, or totally different?

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Tinted Windows, Sony and Boston Acoustics Audio

Here's the transcription of a mail I received from Rancho answering a couple of questions:

-----------

To: armandoperez@whqig.etn.com
cc:
Subject:

Dear Armando,

Thank you for your interest in Rancho Suspensions. The part numbers for the
1992 Ford Explorer 4 x 4 are as follows:

RS5000s Front: RS5019, Rear: RS5185
OR
RS9000s Front: RS9019, Rear: RS9185
OR
RSXs Front: RSX17017, Rear: RSX17018.

The RS5000 is designed to be a good all around performance shock. It is
engineered to be a more durable shock than an original equipment or standard
replacement and is also valved for much greater control. These shocks give
less bounce and sway and improved handling, but the ride tends to be noticeably
firmer.
The RSX is designed to be a "best of both worlds" type of product. The
regular shock valving is set up to be very firm for control and handling. We
also add special "Reflex Technology Valving "system in the base of the shock.
When the shock senses a sudden acceleration like a sharp bump an additional
valve instantly opens to allow an additional path for the oil to flow and
softens the shock for that moment. The advantages are greater control with much
less harshness on bumps.
The RS9000 has an incredible 800% range of adjustment (five different
firmness settings), the lowest are as soft or softer than factory the middle
close to the RS5000 and the high setting very firm. You can set the shock
where you want for a particular use.
The RS5000 will give performance and be the lowest priced, but you may be
sacrificing some ride comfort. The RSX will be good all around for comfort and
control, the RS9000 will give the potential for being softest or the most
controlled but you have to adjust them and they will cost more.

You can call 888-467-2624, and give them your zip code, they will give you
all the distributors in your area.

Thanks alot for your interest. If you have any other questions, feel free
to call into our technical assistance department at 800-574-6257.

Sincerely, Rancho Technical Assistance Department

-------------

Hope this help you.

Mando

Rob-The Edelbrocks are self adjusting where the RS-9000s are manually adjusted. My experiences with most gas filled shocks are that when they are compressed they naturally want to expand thus creating more rebound when going over bumps and uneven surfaces. Ranchos are more of a dampener. They can be compressed or extended and will stay in that position. It lets your springs do the work and dampens the rebound tendencies of the springs. I wish I could do a better job of explaining, but I have had nothing but good experiences with the Ranchos.

Back