Rancho front shocks | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rancho front shocks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was rear ended 3 months ago and was given new shocks so i dont see the point in getting newer shocks for the rear. I just recieved my shocks in the mail right after i posted my first responce. tellico messed up and sent me shocks for a F150. if anyone wants to know the racho 5000 part#'s for a 98 sport, it is, front: 5229 rear :5185

I just tried the 5128's on the front of my '96 4X4 and they do NOT fit - major interference with the CV boot! You have to run the 5229's (or 9229) with the skinny extention rod portion (see pic of the 9229 in post above).

I think SPLAT can run the 5128's only because he is 2 wheel drive, thus no CV boot interference.

Originally posted by funcrew
I just tried the 5128's on the front of my '96 4X4 and they do NOT fit - major interference with the CV boot! You have to run the 5229's (or 9229) with the skinny extention rod portion (see pic of the 9229 in post above).

I think SPLAT can run the 5128's only because he is 2 wheel drive, thus no CV boot interference.

Correct I sold those to splat for that exact reason. I was able to get them to work by moving the boots outward toward the wheel, but I don't recomend it, I tore both boots moving them and had to get new ones which is not a fun job.

update: my 9000X's are working great. love them!

Before this thread gets any older....

I'm looking at getting some 9000x's for the front of my truck, but is it worth it to get them on the rear too? I'm putting in 4 door leafs that have an AAL installed (but the springs have probably gotten softer than stock since they're off a '91 ~ but the truck will ride firmer) and I'm thinking I might just put the Gabriel VST's in the rear and the Rancho's up front.

Opinions?

just put them in the front. the rear will be stiff enough with the 4 door leaf pack on the back.

If you are getting 9000s up front I wouldn't go cheap on the rear, maybe just get 5000s but don't go with gabriels.

Originally posted by SplashMan
I'm with taxxman... 9000s up front and 5000s rear if you don't want to put 9000s in the rear.

I've heard that the 5000's are stiff and ride like crap... (thats what the shops around here told me ~ that, and avoid anything rancho).

I was going to go Gabriel VST all the way around but I like the idea of adjustability to tailor your ride.

Is it more important ride wise to have the adjustability up front (this seems logical to me) or in the back?

Yes it is better to have the adjustability up front. I would not avoid rancho, they are a great shock and I love mine. If you must then look at the adjustable Procomp shocks. If you are concerend about ride quality then get the 9000s all the way around. Gabrials are stiffer than stock too.

I run RS5000s on all four corners. They are a little stiff, but I like it cause it helps eliminate body roll.
If you want to stay away from Ranchos, go with the Explorer Pro Comp MXs. They are adjustable and 4wheel parts has them for buy three get one free all the time.
As far as where to have the adjustable ones, I guess the front would be better since you have more weight up there, but I'm not sure.

4wheel parts has both at buy 3 get one right now.

RSX

Anyone have Rancho's RSX shocks? I just ordered some today from 4 Wheel Parts, how do these hold up compared to the RS9000? Only $158.00 shipped to my house, not bad!

Greg

Y'all suckered me into it... just bought 4 for $210 shipped from the buy one get one free from Sam's Offroad in Tulsa, OK. Can't wait to get em on!

(My deciding factor was driving my buddies' 01 Sport which has firmer suspension than mine and I liked the way it handled)

shock extender.

if u use the shock extender for the front rs5000, do ineed to get a biffer bushing or use the one that came with it?

man, tell ya what, after reading all this, I'm REALLY glad I have a 1st gen... just go to 4wheelparts.com, pick, pay, and go:D

:chug: :chug:

Back