Rancho RS500s and T-Twist/Shackles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rancho RS500s and T-Twist/Shackles

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
Alright, I plan on putting on my Warrior Shackles and twisting up the front. However, I also need to have some Rancho RS5000s put on. Do I need a longer shock for the TT and Shackles or will the regular length (for a stock Explorer) work fine? Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock sized shocks will work fine for the TT/Shackle lift.

The Rancho 5000's are actually just a hair longer than the stocks, plus the front articulation doesn't change any with the lift, and you'll be glad you have stock length in the back at full articulation, or you would bust your brake line. (thats how it is on my 2000 anyway)

Yeah ,what he (jefe) said .... I've the same set-up , works great ...........

In regards to what Jefe was saying, about the stock length shock in the rear.....If I understand you correctly, you're saying the shocks are limiting the travel and they keep the rear end from more articulation......If that is the case, that sucks for the shocks....definately a way to beat the $hit outta them really fast. Not to mention, you can do 4in of lift with out changing brake lines....Though many advise against it, I've done it and had no problems....Now that I went to 6in of lift, i did replace them...So I wouldn't worry about the brake lines on a t/t shackle lift
Pete

Hey,

I have been looking into the Rancho 5000's are these any good? What is this TT lift stuff? Is it expensive difficult to install? Please provide some insight.

TT Twist

http://www.4x4central.com/torsionbars.html

Try this link to get information on the tortion twist....It will lift the front of you truck, to level out the back you can get shackles from desertrat.com, for about $48 after shipping.......I don't know what year you explorer is, but you can only do this on '95 + explorers. If yours is pre '95, you can get F-150 coil spacers for the front, and the shackles for the rear. There is also a search feature(upper right hand side of this page) on this site that works wonderful, you just type in the topic and it searches all threads for your topic!

Originally posted by RFR2212
In regards to what Jefe was saying, about the stock length shock in the rear.....If I understand you correctly, you're saying the shocks are limiting the travel and they keep the rear end from more articulation......If that is the case, that sucks for the shocks....definately a way to beat the $hit outta them really fast. Not to mention, you can do 4in of lift with out changing brake lines....Though many advise against it, I've done it and had no problems....Now that I went to 6in of lift, i did replace them...So I wouldn't worry about the brake lines on a t/t shackle lift
Pete
How are you going to beat up a shock by fully extending it? How often do you actually reach full articulation, and at what speeds?. . .not very often, and always slow. And as for the brake line, the 4" lift being ok may be on the older models, but my brake line almost doesn't let my shock reach full length, with a stock length shock on.

Fully extending it isn't the problem...Have tons of weight on them when yer flexing is....Hey, not my truck, but it's gonna wear em out alot faster if ya flex em and allow yer suspension to limit on them.
Pete

Back