Rancho shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rancho shocks

jonny 5

Reaction score
City, State
Seekonk, MA 02771 (home), N. Dartmouth, MA (college)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT SOHC
1998 Explorer XLT with TT/Shackle (not yet!) would be a lift of approx. 1.25"-1.75". Does Rancho have a shock for this application of should I just use the RS9000s made for the stock height?

For Stock: Rancho RS9000s
Front RS9229
Rear RS9185

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Hecklethorn (sp?) makes a shock for Ex's specifically for a 0''-2'' lift. The shocks are longer than stock for the extra height. Seeing as Hecklethorn has a shock for added height, you can almost bet that Rancho will have one as well. Check gorancho.com and look at applications, they might just have what you are looking for.

For Stock: Rancho RS9000s
Front RS9229
Rear RS9185

This is from the gorancho.com site

Edit

On the rancho site you can go to one of the PDF files (specifications 2 I believe) and it gives you the extended and compressed length and the types of mounts. For the rear I'm fairly confident the stock length is good on shackles, I know my droop wasn't limited until I added my add-a-leaf. For the front I'd go in and find the stock length, and then find one with 1.5" - 2.5" more length.

I have a 98 with the TT,shackles, and Rancho 9000's. I just used the ones made for stock height, and haven't had any problems. If you do decide to get some that are longer than stock, you might want to still use the stock length in front because they will keep the front wheels from drooping too much, which may cause excessive stress and premature wear on the cv joints. You might get a hold of Taxxman2k. I know he put on some longer than stock ranchos on the front of his ex. He posted how to do it somewhere in here.

I just bought a full set of Rancho 9000's. 4wheel parts told me that the stock shocks for 91-94 would allow up to a 2" lift but the 95-01 stock shocks stated they would allow 0" lift. Hope that helps

Hey I just had some 9000 Ranchos put on today and I have the tt/shackle lift.

Doesnt seem to cause any problem. The ride is a lot better than my previous Gabriel VST's.

GrantP

Back