• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Ranchos or not

albeegood

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport 4x4
I have a 98 ford explorer sport (no leaf or coils in front) and my question I'm in the process of buying some shocks and need some help as to which ones to get. I WAS thinking on toe 5000's but just read they are oil filled as supposed to gas? Anyway I live in a bumpy pot-holed area and need something that can attack the roads and give me some smooth & comfort. PLEASE HELP, I was thinking on probably some GAS shocks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

1997XLTRollover

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
You may want the 9000's then. They're gas filled and adjustable. That way you can set the ride stiffness on your own to exactly what you want (as much as your suspension will allow). I have 5000's up front and 9000's out back since the back tends to ride harder and hop over bumps more. I set my 9000's after some testing at level 4 and it's perfect.

2TimingTom

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Agree. Probably 9000s. I have mine on full stiff on the road but I have a longer moment arm with my taller lift.

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
I have rs5000's up front and they are great for me. Of course I have only driven on road. After reading here I am going to consider the 9000's for the rear since I am getting ready to replace my rears.

Sonny1597

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tucson
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 2dr
I have a 2001 Sport and installed Rancho 9000's all around. I have re-arc'd rear springs with a leaf added and the front torsion bars have been cranked to match the rear for about a 2" lift. I run my 9000's at '1' on pavement but kick them up to '5' in front and '9' in the rear.
My lady friend hates it at '9' but thinks it rides better then her CRV at '1'! Go figure.
4Wheel Parts had to order my Rancho's to match my lift! Never thought about it but I guess that makes sense.
Also running 265/75 16's BFG KO2's

Al

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger