Ranchos or not | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

albeegood

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport 4x4
I have a 98 ford explorer sport (no leaf or coils in front) and my question I'm in the process of buying some shocks and need some help as to which ones to get. I WAS thinking on toe 5000's but just read they are oil filled as supposed to gas? Anyway I live in a bumpy pot-holed area and need something that can attack the roads and give me some smooth & comfort. PLEASE HELP, I was thinking on probably some GAS shocks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want the 9000's then. They're gas filled and adjustable. That way you can set the ride stiffness on your own to exactly what you want (as much as your suspension will allow). I have 5000's up front and 9000's out back since the back tends to ride harder and hop over bumps more. I set my 9000's after some testing at level 4 and it's perfect.

I have rs5000's up front and they are great for me. Of course I have only driven on road. After reading here I am going to consider the 9000's for the rear since I am getting ready to replace my rears.

I have a 2001 Sport and installed Rancho 9000's all around. I have re-arc'd rear springs with a leaf added and the front torsion bars have been cranked to match the rear for about a 2" lift. I run my 9000's at '1' on pavement but kick them up to '5' in front and '9' in the rear.
My lady friend hates it at '9' but thinks it rides better then her CRV at '1'! Go figure.
4Wheel Parts had to order my Rancho's to match my lift! Never thought about it but I guess that makes sense.
Also running 265/75 16's BFG KO2's

Al

Back