Random battery light and module voltage low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Random battery light and module voltage low

You know it

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer limited
I'm fixing a friends 2004 ford explorer limited with a 4.6l. The check charging light will occasionly pop on at start up. When I look through everything on the pcm I'm getting no codes but I getting low module voltage that is locking in to whatever voltage dropped to at start up making it more common when the battery is low(12v even before start up vs 12.5) or cold.

Im getting 12v to the orange wire and 9.4v to the gr/rd wire when its acting up at the alternator. 10.8 when the check charging light is off at gen/rd.

I'm getting 2.4v at the can bus+ and 2.6v to can bus- wire off the instrument cluster. I'm not sure what voltage should be at these wires.

Im wondering where the pcm is getting reference voltage from when it locks at start up voltage? It literally locks at 10.8v-11.9v and will not fluctuate until restart for module voltage.

Could this be bus signal wires from pcm to gauge cluster?

I have also tested the main power supply wire to the pcm at the pcm and getting 14.6v while running. Ive tested the pcm refernce voltage to ground at 14.6v.

The ford dealer had it for 3 weeks and could not find the problem. Im assumiming they would much rather sell a new explorer then fix a old one.

Things that have been replaced.
-pcm
-gauge cluster
-alternator
-battery
- all fusable links
- cleaned grounds

Sorry for being kinda jumpy I have a hard time getting things organized and in row mentally.

My issue which was similar, was the connection at the alternator. I spliced on a new connector and it fixed the issue.

As it’s a cheap part, may be worth a shot.

Thanks I'll try that and see if it clears anything up.

Back