Random Check Engine Light and Random "hiccup" while driving. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Random Check Engine Light and Random "hiccup" while driving.

TorontoGuy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XL
Hey guys,

I've had a Check Engine light that has been coming on intermittently for about a week now. The light will come on randomly (usually while driving at a constant speed and the engine is warmed up) and it will only stay on for about 5 seconds. When the Check Engine light comes on there is no change to the way it drives and no signs that anything is wrong.

As for the "hiccup" I experience every once and a while, it's as if I'm driving and I take my foot off the gas for a split second. It's a very quick loss of power, like we're talking milliseconds. It usually happens at very light throttle around 1900-2100RPM.

The hiccup and check engine light never really seem to happen at the same time but I'd have to believe they're related. I'm not too sure if it matter but it was really cold tonight, about 10*F. I haven't pulled the codes yet but as soon as I can get into a warm garage I will, I just figured I'd toss a post up and see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks a lot everyone and Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad news is that for these type issues there is no substitute for proper diagnosis. However................

If I thought my luck was running good I'd do/check the following:
1. Replace fuel filter.
2. Check fuel pressure and pressure leak down time. Fuel pump maybe tired or pressure regulator needs to be replaced.
3. Check fuel pressure regulator.
4. Clean IAC.
5. Do a See Foam procedure. I'm a big fan of sea foam and have got "lucky" a few times doing this. Don't just add to fuel. Do the procedure.

If I know my luck has been coming up snake eyes lately I'd do the right thing and pull the codes first. Then start diagnosing where the codes point me to.

Hope this helps.
Willy

One last note, remember that the computer doesn't wake up and start monitoring motor health until the motor reaches operating temperature. It's a safe bet that this is why the CEL comes on after warm up.

Thanks for the tips Willy! Will definitely have a look at all of those things. I should also mention the plugs and wires were replaced before the summer.

Run codes and do both a KOEO and KOER test. There should be a code stored indicating what's failing.

A common failure with similar symptoms to yours is failure of the DPFE sensor. This is part of the EGR system and the sensor corrodes internally due to moisture. It is a very easy fix and is often indicated by EGR-related trouble codes being set. Effects on drivability are minimal like you have experienced.

Now that it's gotten a bit warmer outside it doesn't seem to be happening any more. I'll wait for the next cold snap and see if it happens again but in the meantime I'll definitely work on getting the codes pulled.

Cheers

Be careful!! No CEL doesn't always mean no problems. Can't say it any better than
Arco777. Truck is telling you it's hurting somewhere. Been up to your neck of the woods and know the effect that cold temps have on equipment.

Good Luck
Willy....

Back