Random hissing noise when using in car cell phone speaker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Random hissing noise when using in car cell phone speaker

bigtexan99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I've started to notice that every now and then while on a cell phone call through the Explorer, I will get this hissing noise for about 2-4 seconds. It almost sounds like waves at the ocean. It starts softly, gets progressively louder and then disappears. At first I figured it was my phone or the persons phone I was talking to. However, I got a new phone a couple of weeks ago and its still occurring when talking to different people.

I've not noticed any correlation to other events, its just random. Anyone else heard it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look like no one else has heard this but me, and I can't find any other mentions of it on the net. Have the Sport in for service today and the advisor said they applied all the Sync / Radio updates so I'll report back if it the noise goes away.

Look like no one else has heard this but me, and I can't find any other mentions of it on the net. Have the Sport in for service today and the advisor said they applied all the Sync / Radio updates so I'll report back if it the noise goes away.
I doubt any updates would solve this issue since no one else has reported the same issue. Sounds more like some kind of short term interference. Have you ever asked if the person on the other end can hear it?

Peter

The people on the other end of the call cannot hear it. When it does happen, its the same sound with the same characteristics. It does not sound like random interference, call quality, or signal strength.

Got the Sport back with all updates applied. Sadly, the occasional random background noise is still occurring when on the phone in the car using Bluetooth. Sounds like a hiss, or waves at the beach. The Service Advisor had never heard of this problem before. The Service Manager said he had heard the same noise himself on one other F150. So, I'm not alone! LOL. I asked him to open a inquiry with Ford, but I'm not holding my breath on a resolution. Maybe I can talk him into upgrading me to a Sync3 Screen and APIM!??!?!?!

The shop foreman listened to it today. He then connected his phone to the Sync 2 system and observed the same noise occurring. After some research, he wants to replace the ACU or ACM (can't remember which he said) which he believes might be causing it. He does not think the APIM is the problem. Part should be in next week so we'll see what happens.

Replacing the ACM did not solve the problem, so after further troubleshooting they replaced the Sony Amplifier and integrated Digital Signal Processor. And voila, the hissing noise is gone!

And super duper bonus.... the stereo now sounds so much better. The Amplifier must have had some other defect, because now I can actually hear the subwoofer and mid range. Winning!

Back