Random questions for thermostat housing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Random questions for thermostat housing

PAExplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AWD
- I have removed the top part to fix a leak but don’t see any O-ring or gasket between the top and bottom part. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

- My temp reading used to sit at 1/4. How do I know what temp thermostat I have and what is considered “hot”. Any brand recommendations?

I also removed the throttle body. It has a funny looking gasket. https://www.rockauto.com/info/6/61057_P04_TOP__ra_p.jpg

Now I forget which side is up. Does it matter and why is it like this?

- With the t-body off, I can see inside the intake plenum chamber. It is wet with sooty material. Kinda surprising as only air passes through at that point.

- I keep reading the the lower part is leak prone but from where? If that O-ring is indeed missing I will fix that first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lower housing tends to split at the seams of the molding process. There should be an o-ring at the thermostat, your parts house will have them. Around here we use STANT thermostats & radiator caps. Also remember the PCV system pulls vacuum from the intake plenum, that's where the gunk comes from. Best wishes.

Thanks. I want to tighten things up and see if I still have to remove the lower. Stopped by AutoZone today and indeed found out what you were saying, that there is only one o-ring and it is on the thermostat. I picked up another thermostat and a new o-ring just in case. They all look so generic. One thing I noticed was that it is easier to push the new one. Does it mean it also opens at a lower temp? The parts man didn’t think think so.

there's just one large o-ring that sits on top of the t-stat. There's a smaller round gasket that goes between the lower housing and the engine.

Koda that's right there is a flat rubber gasket underneath.

Back