• Register Today It's free!

Randomly happening problem

lycan91

Reaction score
City, State
Yreka CA population 7,500 just shy of oregon border
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
So here is the deal. 96 4.0 explorer, some days it will start with out any problem fires up just fine, then after stopping some where shutting the engine off it wont start back up. Won't spin the starter, the fender mount soleniod will click and thats it all the lights are on, radio works. After a few attempts at starting it the locks will cycle. Some times it will start after five minuets some times it wont start for 3+ days.. Battery is newer, starter was tested and it was fine, just replaced the fender mount starter solenoid last week, it still did it. No corrosion on battery cables, and they are tight. I'm baffled. Please help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the locks are cycling because after turning the key on/off a few times you are inadvertently entering "programming mode" for adding remote key fobs. the fender mounted solenoid's job is to transfer power from your battery positive terminal to your starter motor when you turn to key to START. the fender mounted solenoid is working if it's clicking. your problem is either the cable running from the solenoid to the starter, or the starter motor may have a dead spot, or you may have a bad ground between your engine and the negative terminal of your battery (less likely). my guess is the cable or starter motor are bad. as it's an intermittent problem, the starter may have tested ok but really isn't.

How would one test to find out if the starter motor is bad? Or the cable for that matter? I guess I will check the cable attached to the starter to see if maybe that is loose or has a nasty spot in it. Thanks

i might try using a jumper cable from the starter lug to the battery + (output side of the solenoid), but be very careful. if either end of the cable touches a ground it will get real exciting real fast. if you try this, use two people and do so at your own risk.

if the cable is lumpy, corroded, frayed, green, rusted or loose it's bad. if the cable looks good then it's the starter. i've had starters that develop a dead spot on the armature. when this happens it's Russian roulette as to whether it will work.

.... I guess I will check the cable attached to the starter to see if maybe that is loose or has a nasty spot in it. Thanks
Try removing the nut and cleaning the connection.
It'll only take a couple minutes, and might help.
Corrosion tends to form there, preventing a
good contact.

Koda has got some good advice. If that wont work, don't overlook the key switch.

Back