Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
I have seen RR's with rock slider that go on the body, no the frame. My question is could you build something like this for a ex. I know factory step bolt to the boy so could design some that sandwick the rocker strip and bolt to the factory mounts. Would it work and would it be strong enough?

I hope this made sence?:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on the Explorer.

Yes is the answer.
The 92-94 4 door ex has a perfect body pinch weld for this.
Now you will need to attach to the frame as well as to the body pinch weld.

The key to using the body is to disperse the load over a large area. This means about every 1.5" there is a hole, with a bolt and washers along the seem.

Joe Deitz had some sliders built for his Ex at High Country 4x4 in Colorado. They built them like this, they are attached to the frame at 3 or 4 spots, then also attached the entire length of the body seem...

Sorry I dont have pics, but it can be done for the 91-94 Ex 4 door at least.

Now the Heeps and Rovers use nothing but a stiff piece of metal installed directly on the body, no attachment to the frame. Now I imagine you could build one this way for the Ex body, b ut I doubt it would support the entire weight of the truck, especially if its coming down hard on a rock.

I would like to build something similar for my BII, but I would have to chop the rocker panel off of my truck in order to attach to the body....I just might!

HHHmmmm...

Well my idea was to go my '99 4 door. In big bear i put all the weight (or a good amount) on the rocker with the tuperware. It seem to hold up pretty good. But I can see over time they would be junk. I was thinking to use the original holes for the factory nerf bars and bolt a 1/4 plate to it. Probaly the length of the rocker and then weld and bolt a 2x2 or something to that and sandwich the the rocker strip. This way they would hang under the body, give more clearance, and look factory.:D I don't wanna go to the frame if I don't have too due to the body lift. It will be a pain later if I deside to take it out.

You need to search for this. I believe Gerrald (HERC) has done something real similar to what you are thinking, modify the stock rockers....

I am sorry I thought you were spaeking of the earlier Explorer.......any amount of re-enforcement could only help!!!

When I approached a custom 4x4 shop in Colorado Springs with my design, which used the pinch weld and the frame, they said, "No way."

They told me that you need more "cushion" between the rock rail and the body, or else the rail could crush the rockers up into the doors. Thus a body mounted rail would not be good. You have to consider that when you "use" your rock rails, you seldom rest gently on them. It's usually more of a 6-12" body-slam drop.

Also, attaching to both the body and frame causes a big problem because of frame flex. I know I get major frame flex in my truck. I've got flex pics where... Well, I'll just show you. Here's a pic.

Here, the bumper is pushing against the trim on the DR side, and there's a 1.5" gap on the other.
ClydesRavineDarkMan6.jpg

I've tried to find Gerald's write up on his steel plate rockers, but I can't. I know I saw them on the forums at some point, but can't find them now.

With no lift, I need something that's "snug". The tube style rails I've seen would ruin my ground clearance.

The reason for body and not frame...

I worried if I build sliders that bolt to the frame that I will have to build new one later if I remove the body lift. i dont want the sliders hanging way down 4.5" from the body. I just need something to protect the rockers. something to slide on. I not planning on droping down on them... but who ever plans on it any way!:rolleyes:

Cost is also in issuue. I only have access to a wire welded too.

Here is a pic of a frame and body pinch mount slider. The theory makes sense to me. The weight is being spread out more. The only real way you could harm the rockers is if you break a weld (or bolt) at the frame. If this did happen, a slider not mounted at the pinch seam, would hit the rocker harder at a more confined point, not spread across the entire seam.

edit: oops, did not see your post on the body lift thing

Attachments

• tube slider.jpg
    tube slider.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 523

In understand all the above concerns but I can tell you on joe's 93 4 door Eddie bauer with teh frame and pinch weld mounted sliders they are bulletproof.

Here's a HUGE pic of Joes truck:
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/pics/colorado03/slaughterhouse092703/joetjm02.jpg

You can see his sliders, both frame and body mounted, yes that is a 5.0L HO powered truck, cleanest damn Explorer you have ever seen.....including the conversion, ended up with an AODE tranny too

Am sure they force the body to felx a little more or the frame to flex a little less, but they work.

Now I will be doing frame mounted on my BII, and I may possibly cut off the stock rocker and take the slider up to it. Yes I will sacrifice about 1-2" of ground clearance, but only under the rockers. The clearance under the rest of the truck is the same.....since they dont hang down under the frame rail.....

OH and remove the body lift, trim the fenders........

My sliders are attached to the pinch weld and the frame in 3 places. Where the sliders are attached to the pinch weld there is some bending visible as well as the hole has been distorted. Personally I wouldnt do it this way again. I have also since put a 1" BL on and now I have a gap between the slider and pinch seam. I had to make spacers to re-bolt the sliders to the pinch weld.

I am planning on making new sliders eventually that will only attach to the frame and be adjustable for a BL.

Do a search for the user name Perry and words "rock sliders". He built some very nice sliders that attach to the body only. They bolt up through the floor as well as to the pinch weld I believe. They are pretty stout from what I have heard.

OH and remove the body lift, trim the fenders........

:( but I just bought it and put it on a month ago?

that and that alot of trimming when i do 33's:rolleyes:

Back